Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Andy seems different. There is a light in his eyes I have never seen. I hope someday I get to find out what extinguished it to begin with but knowing Nix I know deep down I never will. He walks taller and smiles more. If anyone else notices they don't say it. The night is perfect for camping. Nix changed into her bikini before leaving the house and I can see the white straps from under my shirt. I plot on how to get her in the water while she lights the fire. Zeke and Marie dove in as soon as we made it here. Marie laughs as he chases her around the water. Mikey and Leo watch the stars chatting about nothing.

"Caveman make fire!" Nix yells when the fire whooshes brightening the night. The guys cheer.

"Awesome, now strip Im going to throw you in the water, in about fifteen seconds." I state. She whips her head around a challenge exciting her features.

"Dare you to try." She says big grin stretching her cheeks. She flings her shirt and shorts off, taking an Amazonian like stance.

"Oh, its on." I say stripping my shirt.

"You might need to call the guys in for help." She says. "Ill bet 100 dollars I will be the last one in the water, well besides Andy." Leo and Mikey both jump up.

"Were in." Mikey says. "You going to help Andy?"

"I like having a straight nose thanks though. Tear em' up Nix." He states while picking the strings on his twelve string.

Leo charges her, she quickly hops over him donkey kicking him face first in the sand. She opens her mouth placing her hand over it in an adorable uhh-ohh face. Mickey runs next as I sneak off in the tall grass hoping to surprise her. I hear Mickey umph and know he's down. I poke my face through the grass to see Leo have hold of her, well he thinks he does. She twists flipping his body causing him to eat sand. He surrenders. Mickey gets her over his shoulder, but she uses his own weight against him forcing her body to slam him forcefully to the ground. He grunts as she rolls him in the water. "Youre out." She exclaims triumphantly. "Now, where are you hiding Evan? She looks all around her eyes carefully examining the shadows. You scared Ill get you?" She simpers. She walks my way and when she is about a step away from the grass, Im tucked in I charge. I catch her by the waist and heave her over my shoulder, she tries to throw her balance, but I am expecting that. I get her to the water and attempt to throw her. She catches my neck pulling herself back towards shore. I start to wobble and throw my arms out for balance. She propels her body behind me, sending a light kick between my shoulder blades sending me splashing. I roll over to see her land gracefully on shore. Andy reaches out high fiving her. "Hoorah." She yells. "Can no one challenge me?" she says in a funny voice flexing her arms like a body builder. Zeke sneaky like a ninja creeps from the shadows and lightly taps her causing her to startle and fall on her butt in the water. We all laugh, even her.

I walk over to her picking her up and walk her in the water. She lets me. Zeke cannon balls in the water splashing us. He swims off to Marie leaving Nix wrapped tightly in my arms. The water is over her head and her uneven breathing tells me she is worried about it.

"You know I am a water dragon, right?" I say in her ear. "I would never let you drown." She looks back at me eyes sparkling, a way that makes my insides turn. I kiss her, the guys hoot behind me but I don't care. I allow her kiss to melt away the world. Nothing more than me and her, no dragon, no phoenix, just her and I and the stars. Her mind opens and Im drug in her memories as we kiss. Im wrapped in the fuzzy feelings of not just mine but her happiness. I never want to be away from her. Zayes enters my mind and I pull away afraid of another repeat. He stays silent observing our private moment. "Get on my back Nix. Tell Red to open your eyes" I tell her as Zayes shows me an advantage of being a dragon of the deeps. When she is on tight, I dive. I open my eyes and can see clearly under the water. She points to a large channel cat hiding in the deep. I don't stay under, sensing Nixs discomfort. Even though it was seconds it was amazing. I felt at home in the water, I guess it makes sense Nix being a creature of fire wouldn't share in my comfort.