CHAPTER 3

I went downstairs for dinner the next day. The men still hadn't begun their work: they had been settling in and toured the town that morning. They returned too tired to do anything.

During dinner me and my sisters sat on one side as the men on the other. Agnes sat at the head of the table while Selma and Rowena sat on the other end.

I had forgotten how it felt to have dinner with people. I had always been alone.

"Good evening, Miss Margery," Yves said. He wore a new gaudy purple coat and a black vest inside. "So you eat food, too."

"Yes, I do," I said, giving him a small smile.

"You didn't join us yesterday night for dinner or this morning for breakfast, so I thought you didn't eat with the rest."

"I wasn't feeling well," I lied. I had wanted to avoid seeing Agnes. I didn't regret my choice, but I would be lying if I said I didn't completely regret not asking who Uriel wanted me to kill before promising him.

I knew Agnes wouldn't dare let me change my victim. We'd already told them only the artist could come into the tower. Freedom was also something I craved. But to do such a thing—killing Agnes?

"Anyways, how was your day today, gentlemen?" Agnes asked the men.

"It was fine," the doctor replied.

"Oh, did you go to the market?" Primrose intertwined her fingers together and rested her chin at her hands. She smirked at the men.

"A little," Dr.Gregoire said.

"Oh, you don't have to lie," Agnes said. "You probably went to town to ask about us. Anyways, Primrose, elbows off the table." Primrose rolled her eyes but did as she said.

Cecile tore her bread and dipped it into her soup, eating gracefully, without listening to the conversation. Sabine, who sat next to me, leaned towards me and whispered,

"Which one is it?"

I didn't want to say his name, as he sat directly across from me, so I smiled and said, "Your hair looks beautiful today, Sabine."

She frowned and touched her hair, then her eyes widened. She looked across the table and then back at her plate.

Uriel had been eating without looking at us, but suddenly he noticed and looked up. I smiled at him. He gave a small, knowing look in reply. As quiet and obedient as he looked, I knew he came here with revenge, not interest.

"If you all ever do go to town, get me a souvenir," I said. "I can't leave the tower, but I always wanted something from the outside world."

The Elders watched me carefully but didn't speak. Only Cecile spoke.

"Yes. I was thinking I'd like a new book recently, too."

"So you read?" asked Dr.Gregoire. She nodded. "What books?"

"Novels. Romance novels."

Yves choked on his food, then coughed, until he started laughing. "Romance?"

"Why?" Primrose asked. "I thought you were the type of man who liked romance yourself."

"Oh, please! Romance novels are for women. They are nothing but silly dreams. I prefer adventure. What about you, Miss Primrose?"

"I don't read. It's a bore."

"Reading's not a bore," Karl said. "If you don't read the. how do you know about the outside world?" Primrose frowned.

"Why do I need to know about the outside world? I'm a vampire. I live here."

"She's right," Agnes said, clearly annoyed. "We are different from you."