chapter 3|lewis

Somebody is slicing through my brain with a disk saw

Somebody is slicing through my brain with a disk saw. Or something. I don't know. All I can really do is stare at the wall and wait for it to be over, a plastic bowl ready next to me. It's probably not going to be used much anymore though, there's nothing left in my stomach to throw up. Except for water. Talking about that, I need to drink something. I sit up slowly and flinch as the pain intensifies due to the movement. Why am I doing this again? Right. Water. I grab the glass on my nightstand and down all of it before I lay back down, staring at the wall again. I look at the photos hanging there, of my mothers and me, Cheeto and me, other family members and me. Even some of other friends I don't have that much contact to. My favorite is the one of Cheeto and me on a road trip kind of thing during our last summer vacation. Anna and Denise - my mothers - had told me I could bring someone, and I asked Cheeto. Ze had said yes so we'd spent most of the summer together with Anna and Denise in a rented campervan. In the picture, we're both standing on top of the van and laughing - I can't even remember why - with an arm around each other's shoulders as the setting sun paints everything orange and red. I smile at the memory. I think that was my favorite evening out of the entire seven weeks we'd spent going from location to location.

The door opens and Anna tiptoes through the darkened room before sitting down on the edge of my bed.

"Hey." She whispers, tucking a dark brown strand of hair that fell out of her ponytail behind her ear. "You need anything?"

"Some water, maybe." I whisper back and point at the empty glass. She nods and takes it.

"Scale from one to ten?" She asks. Ever since I can remember, we've had this system of numbers between one to ten which are supposed to show about how much pain I'm in. One means It's almost nothing, ten means I want to fucking die.

I think for a few seconds. "Seven and a half? Or eight."

She sighs. "So the meds didn't work?"

"If they ever worked, that would be a miracle." I joke and crack a tired smile.

She smiles back and strokes a few strands of hair out of my face. I'm right, though. The meds never work, I don't even know why we still try everytime.

Anna gets up and leaves the room. I hear her steps on the creaking stairs and the faucet in the kitchen, then the stairs again and finally, she enters my room and carefully places the full glass on my nightstand. "Let me know if you need anything else, more water or whatever. I'll be in the study." She points over me, at the wall behind which the study is.

"Thanks." I say, and I mean it. I'd probably be fucked without her on days like this. She smiles.

"Don't thank me." She says and leaves.

~

Time passes by without me noticing. I drink a lot, throw it up again, drink even more. Denise comes home at some point, strokes my hair and says something about how I got this from my grandpa. I tell her to call him and let him know how thankful I am. She laughs quietly and opens the window. I know I'll feel better tomorrow. At least I hope so.

OKAY I KNOW YOU'RE DISAPPOINTED IN ME RIGHT NOW

LIKE "BRUH WHAT THE FUCK THAT'S A SHORT ASS CHAPTER ALSO THAT CONTENT DAFUQ??"

B U T

i had to write this lmao

first of all, character introduction

second of all, that above is extremely relatable for me and i kinda wanted to write it.

(nope, no better reasons, sorry)

ok, love you, byeeeeeeee

*slowly backs out of the room, whispering "please let me live"*