I cleared my throat, "He said he was in the city, and if I want to hang out, basically."

"Oh, fuck in a stick."

"What?"

"He really had the nerve to call you up? Son of a bitch."

"Hailey..."

"No. I'd punch him square in the face."

I smiled at the thought of fueling mad Hailey. Such a protective Mama Bear.

"You went easy on him. If I were you, I'd pull a Carrie Underwood."

"Jesus, Take the Wheel?"

She scoffed, "Before He Cheats!"

"Oh."

"Yeah. Well, so, how are you? I mean, of course, you're not fine, you just called me."

"Yeah, no. Um, I was shaken a bit but, I'm good now? I felt like I had to just let it out and listen to my own voice to realize how stupid it was. I'm alone at the office so I can't talk about it to anyone here. And besides, I don't want to give out history to strangers."

"I totally get it." She exhaled loudly, out of words. "I don't know what to say anymore. Clark was just such a jerk. Always have. I never understood why you went out with him in the first place."

"Yeah, I know. So dumb."

"Yeah," she chuckled, "I told you so many times to just break up with him."

"And I didn't. Nature took course and well, you know the rest."

She exhaled loudly, "God, forgive me, I'd like to wrap my hands around his throat and just choke him."

I nearly choked.

"Oh, come on, Lauren! Your mind is so polluted. I didn't mean sexually!" she exclaimed.

"No, it's just funny," I chuckled. "You have to admit, it was pretty funny."

She let out a scoffed laugh, "Yeah, it was. Alright, I have to go. Josh is getting mad."

"No, I'm not." He interrupted the call.

"Give it back." I heard Hailey say faintly.

"Okay, go now. Sorry for taking up your time with my issues." I smiled.

"Nah, I'm used to it. You only call me when you have problems." She said jokingly.

"Hey, for the record, I don't. And... you still love me anyway. Okay, bye." I said and dropped the call before she even had the chance to protest.

I took a deep breath to clear my mind. I have to focus up so my overtime would not go to waste. I've put my phone into airplane mode so there would be no more interruptions and faced the Account analysis.

"Ms.?" I turned my head in the direction of the department entrance.

"Yes?"

"It's 9 o'clock. We have to lock up the floor." The guard said.

I looked at the time on my computer, "Oh, right. I didn't notice the time, I'm so sorry. Please give me 5 minutes to save these and turn off the computer."

"Alright, I'll be right here." He replied.

I then went on saving my files, shutting the computer down, and tidying up my space while waiting for the computer to shut down completely. I smiled at the guard when I reached the office door. "Am I really the only one left here?"

"I'm afraid so, Miss."

I nodded, "Okay, I'm off. See you tomorrow."

"Oh, you won't, Miss. Unless you plan on staying here till 9 again." He chuckled, "I'm on a graveyard shift for a month; it started last week."