03 | skipping beauty

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 3

There was something so satisfying about watching a basketball pass through a net

It was like I held all my troubles in the same palm that I held the ball, watching them travel further and further away from me whenever I released and bring about the clarity that I only seemed to get whenever I scored.

I got that feeling full force when I extended my arms and landed back on my feet, grinning at the familiarity of the swishing sound that followed.

Danny had been seconds away from hitting the ball out of my hands before I made the shot, only two points behind.

I always looked forward to the afternoons we spent lazily dribbling a ball around together after a lecture, something about the way the sun felt when it beat down onto my back and the fact that we didn't have the pressure of Coach watching.

I realised that I had been facing the basket that whole time, and spun around to face Danny with a smug grin, chuckling at the stony expression on his face.

Although I was pretty damn competitive myself it was funny to see how heated Danny got whenever he lost to me, which was pretty much every time.

He may have been a great player, but I was better. That's just how it was.

Reading the thoughts that I'm sure were displayed on my face, Danny scowled. "Shut up."

I laughed. "Didn't say anything."

His eyes narrowed. "I could see you thinking it."

My mouth had to work hard to fight back the grin threatening to form. "You're probably just imagining it."

He turned away from me and started to walk, but I was pretty sure he was smiling.

I jogged up to him and sure enough, he was shaking his head with a little glimpse of his teeth on display.

His elbow shot out in a sharp jab to my ribs and I restrained myself from doing the same back. Since I'd just kicked his ass in that game, I figured it was only fair.

A pretty group of girls walked past us a couple of minutes into our journey back to the University complex, and they stopped to talk to us.

Or should I say, Danny sweet-talked them into stopping to talk to us, somehow getting three out of five of their numbers.

One of the remaining two looked disinterested, staring at her phone screen instead of the people around her.

I watched as the other's eyes did a sweep down the length of my entire body, and she looked at me flirtatiously when she was done.

My body was something I worked hard on, running and basketball both contributing a lot. Obviously it was nice to see the effect it had on her, but I just wasn't feeling it for some reason.