02 | up 'n' coming

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 2

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄CHAPTER 2

NOW

"Hey pretty girl!" Lucy exclaimed as she walked in and closed the door behind her, turning the sign so that it read 'open' from the outside.

We were in the Stone Cafe, clad in aprons and the fake smiles that we gave to our customers.

Real smiles were reserved for each other and the scenery that surrounded us.

The entrance to the cafe was beautiful - put together with the kind of wood that proudly wore the marks of all the people it came across.

Everytime the scuffed soles of my trainers completed the short trip through it, I found that my worries were swept with the crisp, clean air.

I chalked this up to the sheer number of plants that we had crammed into the one room. You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find a corner that hadn't been invaded by leafy vines or excessive shrubbery.

Although pleasing to the eye and one of the main reasons we attracted so many customers, those plants were ridiculously high maintenance.

You think you drink a lot of water? The 'selaginella' would put you to shame in seconds.

Dragging my eyes away from the plant pots and onto Lucy, I replied with my dimples showing. "Hi Luce."

Lucy was the only person that I'd properly hit it off with ever since I moved here four months ago.

Ranting about our customers proved to be a great way to bond with each other, and it naturally progressed into a friendship.

I was constantly thankful for the fact that I had managed to get this job in the first place, having had no prior work experience under my belt.

My memories flashed to the job interview that earned me my spot as a waitress at the Stone.

The owner of the cafe was an intimidating man, all broad build and blank facial expressions.

He sat tall in his chair as he scrutinised me under his gaze, watching for anything that gave him an idea of the kind of employee I would be.

I refused to let it faze me, remaining calm and professional when faced with difficult questions and scenarios that I had never come across before.

A proud smile slid over my face as I relived the memory.

Lucy strolled past the counter over to where I was standing, eyes gleaming in a way that told me she was about to start gossiping.