31 | moon and stars

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 31

A gust of wind whipped across the landscape, waking it up with sound

The heavy pounding of my trainers against concrete. The crunch of leaves as they left their branches, fully in tune with the autumn weather.

The horns of the cars stuck in the 7 am London traffic and the faint sound of music, most likely because one of them had their windows rolled down.

I had broken into a light sweat by the time I reached my door, panting a little as I unlocked it.

Only when I did, it wasn't what I had been expecting.

"Honey, I'm home!" Danny was sprawled across my couch with an obnoxious grin on his face.

Jake was standing at the other end of the room, responding to Danny's statement while he messed with my bobbleheads lined on the counter. "It only works if you're the one coming in."

My gaze switched back to Danny to see him frowning. "Are you sure? I could've sworn it works both ways."

Jake shook his head. "Nah, I think—"

"What the hell are you guys doing in my apartment?" The conversation paused and their attention fell onto me.

Danny shrugged. "We got bored."

Jake's head lifted briefly. "What he said."

I let out a sigh, making my way into my room to kick my trainers off. I didn't even want to know how they'd gotten in in the first place.

When I re-emerged, they were still there.

Of course they were.

The run I had just been on had wiped me of the effort that it would take to kick them out and if I was being honest, I didn't really mind the company. But they didn't need to know that.

I just sat down on the small section of the couch that hadn't been invaded by Danny's limbs, crossing my arms over each other.

Jake's grin was teasing. "I can't believe you've not kicked us out yet."

I gave him a small smile of my own. "Don't tempt me."

Danny's eyes shifted from the television and onto me. "You know, Coach missed you while you were gone."

"You sure about that?" My brows raised. "I could've sworn he doesn't experience human emotions."

Jake snorted. "He doesn't. He just grumbled something about us playing worse when you're not there."

I couldn't stop the cocky grin that found its way onto my face. "Told you I was his favourite."

Danny's eyes narrowed, ever the competitive one. "He didn't say that."