15 | artist's muse

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
CHAPTER 15

"Can I get an iced coffee with two pumps of sugar-free caramel syrup and steamed non-fat milk over a float of vanilla sweet cream at exactly 90 degrees? If it's even a single degree hotter or colder, I'll be able to tell

"Can I get an iced coffee with two pumps of sugar-free caramel syrup and steamed non-fat milk over a float of vanilla sweet cream at exactly 90 degrees? If it's even a single degree hotter or colder, I'll be able to tell."

The woman standing in front of me had spoken without so much as pausing for a breath, drumming her fingers on the counter expectantly.

I blinked.

I wish I could say that this was a first, but in truth she was just playing to the cliché of 'pretentious snob,' and we had multiple versions of her come in every week.

In fact, after I'd served her and my eyes panned around the cafe, I wondered if the rest of the customers knew just how stereotypical they were.

The student at the centre table, cowering so far behind a tower of thick textbooks that she was barely visible.

The couple in the booth, thinking they were discreet in their attempts to feel each other up.

They weren't.

Even the guy sitting at the table in the corner, too far away for me to make out any of his features but close enough for me to notice him waving in my direction.

Wait. That didn't usually happen.

My suspicions were confirmed as I walked up to the table and the guy moved his hood away from his face, revealing the dimples that should come with a warning sign next to them.

Something along the lines of 'Caution: May render you completely speechless and cause to act like an idiot.'

As if they felt the need to prove this point, my feet stayed rooted to the spot, matching my slacked jaw and racing pulse.

"What are you doing here?" I managed to get out.

Somehow, Gabriel's grin was able to light up the room in spite of the sun pouring through the windows. "I wanted to see you," He shrugged as if it was no big deal.

"Okay..." I trailed off, furrowing my brows.

I didn't understand why he was so determined to win me over in particular. I'm sure there was a line of girls that would give anything to be in my position - he would be better off with one of them.

Right?

As much as I wanted to believe that, there was still a part of me that didn't want to let him go.