30 | owe me one

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 30

Bongo drums pounded somewhere in the distance, interrupting the silence that I had been enjoying until then

Wait a second.

Bongo drums?

I sat up in the bed I had been sleeping in far too quickly, immediately clutching at my head in a groggy wince.

Apparently, those so-called 'bongo drums' were really just the sound of my brain bashing against my skull.

Memories flooded through my thoughts in fragments as I tried to piece together the events of the night before.

"I'd like a cocktail please."

"I'm not drunk. Promise."

"Do you remember it?"

I frowned. If anything, I was more confused now than I was before. The events of last night were still a mystery to me.

Maybe it was for the best though. I had a sinking feeling that I'd done something embarrassing.

The last thing I remembered was ordering a cocktail, and I knew from prior experience that alcohol and I didn't really mix.

The creak of a door broke me out of my thoughts and I looked up to see Gabe strolling into the room with a smile that didn't belong on anybody's face this early in the morning.

He flipped a switch on the side of the wall and the shock of white light that blinded my eyes forced me to shut them instantly.

I let myself spend a couple of seconds with my eyes closed on the off chance that when they reopened he'd be gone and I could keep ignoring the fact that my head felt as if it had been run over by a bus, but I had no such luck.

My eyelids parted and I found him staring at me with... amusement?

"Morning, sunshine." He teased, staring at the scowl on my face and the way I was half-submerged under the bedsheets.

"Go away. Come back in..." I trailed off. "Actually, just don't come back in."

My usually cheerful self was long gone, replaced by the sleep-deprived, hungover version of me. It wasn't a great feeling.

He grinned. That guy actually had the audacity to grin at me. "No can do, sorry."

I forced myself to sit back up and ignore the way my head was still throbbing, my body against the bed's backboard. "And why is that?"

He gave me a funny look. "Because we're leaving in two hours."

Oh.

Oh.

It had completely slipped my mind that today was the day that we were going back to London, so I was eternally grateful for the fact that I had never really unpacked.