14 | sincerely, gabe

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
CHAPTER 14

Computer screens lit up the room instead of natural light, the outcome of having around 50 students crammed into one room at once

A voice carried through to the back of the lecture hall, droning in what might as well have been a different language.

My professor was gesturing animatedly and his face held genuine excitement - I wondered if he knew that he was the only person in this room that knew what the hell he was on about.

My eyes glazed over with boredom when the topic of the lecture changed to something else I had no interest in.

I had resorted to watching the hands of the watch that sat on my wrist move. Painstakingly slowly.

"Scarcity."

"Regression."

"Normal distribution."

"Marginal utility."

My focus on the lesson waxed and waned, meaning that I caught the occasional statement but had no idea what the overall conversation was about.

Based on what I heard though, I didn't particularly want or care enough to find out.

I was naturally good at economics hence why I chose it for my degree, but I had missed out a key detail in the fact that I hated every second of it.

The only positive was that I found the exams ridiculously easy, breezing through them in a way that other people could only wish for.

When the lecture ended - finally -  and everybody rushed out like something was chasing them, I knew I wasn't the only one who spent it wishing I was doing anything else.

I groaned in relief when I made it outside, my trainers scuffing against the concrete and hands lost in my pockets.

Raven black hair splayed over my shoulders as I was hugged from behind and small hands covered my eyes.

"Guess who!" A shrill voice called, far too close to my ear for it to not be uncomfortable.

I turned around, softly prying Jenny's hands off my eyes. "We've talked about this." I said, trying to keep my voice from sounding too harsh.

Since our circles overlapped, we frequently saw each other around.

She was a pretty girl and I figured it was worth a try, so about two months ago we had gone on a date.

The problem is that it was up there with the worst I've ever had, a night of awkward conversation and a ridiculous number of uncomfortable silences.

It was obvious to me that we weren't even remotely compatible, but Jenny still had it in her head that we could be the perfect couple.

I didn't know how to make it any more apparent that I wasn't interested, because she ignored every sign that I gave her.