34 | you're mine

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 34

Sunlight started to enter through the window in sharp streaks, slowly forcing me to regain consciousness

As my eyes opened and caught up with the rest of my body, I began to notice a few things.

How unusually comfortable I was, my body pressed flat between the soft couch and something else.

Then what that 'something else' was, the curly-haired culprit with her back to my front.

The last thing I noticed was with a start.

This marked the second time in ten years that I hadn't had a dream reliving that awful day, and both times shared a common factor.

I tilted my head to get a better look at her.

Candyfloss.

Her chest rose and fell a little each time that she took a breath, and I could feel every single one against my chest.

There was a barely-there smile on her lips as she slept, and she gave me a glimpse of it as she turned her head to the other side.

I wanted to know what she was dreaming about.

That little smile on her full lips paired with my body's inability to ignore the fact that she was on top of me was a dangerous combination, and I forced myself to focus on something else.

My eyes found trailed lower, to the point where she had laced our fingers together in her sleep. Quite tightly, I must add.

Case in point, I couldn't move.

But if we're being honest, I didn't really want to.

The only thing stopping me from staying on that couch forever was the basketball match that I knew I had in—

Damn it.

Less than an hour according to the clock a little way away from me.

I carefully lifted her head from my chest, replacing it with one of the cushions on the couch.

Her fingers tightened around my hand a little as I did, leaving me with a new problem.

I had to pry them off one by one, not even trying to fight the smile that fell on my lips at her tenacity.

To quell the need that I knew would be there otherwise, I leaned down and gave her cheeks a small kiss, stopping to admire the way the skin there grew ever so slightly pinker.

I slipped back into the clothes that I had been wearing during last night's game night - a pair of shorts and a loose t-shirt - and took a quick look around.

First at the table that we'd managed to clutter with things that didn't even make sense. Even from here, I could see a playing card floating in one of the red cups.