16 | a close call

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
CHAPTER 16

Before I was even aware of what I was doing my hands had moulded to his shirt, pulling him so close that I could feel his breath on my lips

I flattened my palms against his chest, finding that any doubts or reservations I might have had were drowned out by the sound of his heartbeat.

His heart was racing, mirroring mine in the way it pounded against his chest violently.

Our pants filled the room, fading into the air and vibrating around us until I couldn't remember ever hearing anything else.

I recognised the way he was looking at me from the street all those weeks ago - as if I was the only thing he could see. The only thing that existed to him in that moment.

"I'm gonna kiss you now." He said, tracing my bottom lip with his fingertip and smirking at my widened eyes.

His voice became huskier at that statement, combining with the feeling of his skin over mine to initiate a series of flutters and skips in my stomach.

This was my out. Somewhere in the back of my mind - the last part that was still thinking rationally - was telling me to say no and walk away before things escalated any further.

But I didn't.

Instead I nodded, watching through hooded eyes as he moved to close the space between his lips and mine.

A loud crash sounded from another room in the house, forcing us to jump apart before our lips could touch.

"Sorry guys. I dropped one of my suitcases." Ivy said sheepishly from around the door frame before her eyes registered the scene that lay in front of her.

They travelled over to Gabe first, shirt disheveled thanks to my frantic fingers and curls tousled with the breeze of the window he had been standing in front of.

A slow smile stretched over her face as her gaze finished on me, noting how my cheeks had reddened in anticipation and lips were still parted, as if they were waiting for Gabriel to finish what he had started.

"I'll let you get back to it." She said with obvious humour in her voice, disappearing back around the door.

My head was still facing the direction that Ivy had come in from, refusing to let my eyes meet Gabriel's for fear that he would put me right back under the same spell and we would end up continuing where we left off.

That shouldn't have happened.

I had let myself get swept up in the moment, disregarding the promises I had made to myself in the process.