27 | spilling secrets

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 27

Sheer purple fabric was used as a makeshift door into 'Mista's mysteries', and I stretched my arm to push it out of the way

The way the booth looked through the material, a little bizarre and out of focus, was pretty much an accurate representation of the whole thing.

Bold colours battled each other for the attention of everybody that walked in, and we were no exception.

Deep orange. The colour of the light that spilt over the walls and ceiling, casting a warm glow throughout.

Sage green. The colour that wove itself through most of the tapestries I could see on the walls. There wasn't a single corner that wasn't occupied by a mandala or intricate pattern. I checked.

Despite all the others, the colour my eyes had honed in on was an off white. Specifically, the off white of the cards splayed across the table a few feet away from us.

I stepped forward slowly and Cora followed suit. She seemed a little unsettled, and I wondered if she was already regretting her decision to come in and get our fortunes told.

The unmistakable smell of incense flooded my nose and I looked up to see why, noticing a woman approaching us in a blur of loud bangles and colourful veils.

"Welcome!" She exclaimed, beads clanking against her wrist when she spread her arms out to gesture towards the chairs in front of her. "Sit, sit."

I moved to pull out Cora's chair for her and she threw me a grateful smile, sitting down in sync with me.

"Are you both wanting your cards read today?" She asked warmly, eyes flickering between us.

I started to shake my head, but Cora spoke before I could say that I'd rather not. "Yep, that would be great."

Her hands settled into a basket on the table and she met our eyes in turn. "Names?"

"I'm Cora and this is Gabriel." Cora said from next to me, and I watched the fortune-teller's eyes drift down to the deck in front of her once she was satisfied. "Is your name Mista? I saw the sign outside."

She nodded once before taking the cards into her palms and delicately shuffling them.

She placed three face down on the table and I could've sworn the lights flickered when she looked back up at us. "The cards you see here represent the three fates."

She gestured to them all. "They each deal with different parts of your life. The first is the past, the second is the present and the third is the future, which I know is what you're here for."

"I'll begin with you." She said to Cora, turning the first card over. My eyes dropped down to it, the image of a king on a throne. That in itself wasn't unusual, but it was flipped completely upside down.