05 | empty pockets

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 5

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄CHAPTER 5

"Not happening." I said firmly.

"Please." Lucy pouted. "Do it for me."

She had been spending the last half hour trying to convince me to get out of the house and go to a nightclub with her.

Currently, I only left the warmth of my apartment to work at the cafe or stock up on various art supplies.

Although I didn't see anything wrong with it, Lucy was growing concerned.

But I couldn't figure out what it was that appealed to people about grinding on random strangers and drinking solely for the purpose of getting drunk.

Why would I do that when I could stay here and have a hot date with a slice of chocolate cake?

"If you stay in this apartment any longer you'll turn into a hermit crab." Lucy stated, meeting my eyes.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

"But I'm comfy here." I said defensively.

"Come on Cora, you know it's gotten bad when you have more easels than friends," she said with a straight face.

Our eyes met and we burst out laughing.

It was the kind of laughter that kept growing whenever we looked at each other, shaking my whole body until it almost hurt.

"Fine." I huffed, wiping a tear of laughter from the corner of my eye. I knew by now that it was always best to just entertain Lucy whenever she got like this, for the sake of my sanity.

"I knew you would come around," she squealed excitedly.

Reality muscled its way into my thoughts as I realised that there was one big problem with Lucy's plan.

"I have nothing to wear."

And no money to buy something new with.

- - - -

Westfield shopping centre was one of my places to be in London, when it wasn't ridiculously busy and crowded.

As we passed through the automatically operated doors, it became apparent that today was part of that lucky few.

The centre was as empty as it ever gets, with only the occasional customer scurrying past.

My hands were engulfed by Lucy's as she dragged me into a sophisticated looking store with overhead lighting and well-dressed mannequins.