Part 22

"So... are you going to tell me, why you've asked for this?" Lindsey handed Stevie a plastic bag from the pharmacy. 

"Because I've already used the one I had." Stevie opened the bag and took out its contents. 

Lindsey scratched the back of his head, unsure of what to say. "Was it..."

"Positive." She confirmed, when he trailed off. "I'll be right back. Thank you." 

Lindsey remained standing by the door to Stevie's apartment, when she hurried to the bathroom. He didn't know, how to feel. If things were different, he'd be happy, but everything was a mess. And it wasn't just because he and Stevie weren't actually together. Lindsey wondered if he was even ready to be a father. 

Several minutes passed and Lindsey somewhat carefully approached the bathroom. He brought his hand up and softly knocked on the door. "Stevie? Are you okay in there?"

"I'm waiting."

"Well, why don't you come out and we can wait together?" Lindsey asked. He heard some shuffling around and a moment later, Stevie slowly pulled the door open. "Why are you crying?"

"I don't know." She answered him honestly and Lindsey didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her. 

"Is it safe to assume that... if you are, it's mine?" Lindsey gulped, stroking her back, he felt her nod as she clung to him. 

"I'm sorry." Stevie's voice sounded muffled, her face pressed against his chest.

Lindsey frowned and drew back a little. Cradling her face in his hands, he tilted her head up, so she'd look up at him. "What are you sorry for?"

"For getting you into this. I'm sure that the last thing you've expected from this thing between us was a child." She sniffled and he pulled her against him again.

"You have nothing to apologize for. And we're not a thing, Stevie, I told you, how I feel about you."

"We're having an affair, Lindsey. You're in a relationship with another woman." Stevie reminded him for the millionth time. "You say that you're in love with me, yet, you're still with Lauren. I don't even know if it's true, if you mean it."

Lindsey made their eyes lock again, before he tilted his head more to one side and leaned in to kiss her. Her arms went around him as did his around her, they held onto each other tightly, but the kiss didn't escalate. It wasn't about that.

"I understand that my actions don't exactly mirror my words, but I swear to you, I'm going to tell you everything soon. I just... I need to get some things in order and you'll see that I'm with Lauren and not with you for a reason." Lindsey couldn't explain it any better for the time being. His words didn't make much sense to Stevie, but she didn't question him. "Can we go look now?"

Taking a deep breath, Stevie went back into the bathroom trying not to stare at the pregnancy tests she had taken. She felt Lindsey giving her hand a supportive squeeze, which made her cast her eyes down.

She stood, staring, her lips sealed. Lindsey tried being patient, but he was getting very anxious. "Uh, Stevie, I don't exactly know, what this means." He smiled sheepishly, hoping she'd speak up. "Are we having a baby?"

Her heart skipped a bit, hearing him say those words. Stevie turned to Lindsey and nodded, the corners of her lips slightly turned upwards. "They're all positive. Every single one."

Stevie thought that he was going to squeeze the air out of her lungs, when Lindsey crushed her in his arms. She chuckled, locking her hands at the nape of his neck, when he kissed her fiercely. He parted their lips and planted small kisses all over her face, making her giggle.

"Are you happy?" Stevie asked, managing to slow him down. 

"I didn't even know I wanted this until now." Lindsey cocked his head back, closing his eyes as they glazed over with tears. "Stevie, I-" He stopped, exhaling heavily. "I want to give you the world."

"You just have to get some things in order first, right?" She smiled sweetly at him, she did not expect him to react as well as he did. 

"I do." Lindsey nodded. "I do. Can I stay with you tonight?"

"Don't you have some place to be?" Stevie asked, looking away.

Caressing the side of her face, Lindsey shook his head. "This is the only place I want to be."