Part 4

Stevie tried her hardest to avoid Lindsey. Every time she glanced at him briefly, his eyes were on her. Lauren was too busy being a good hostess, so she most likely didn't notice. Stevie had a couple of days to process the fact she slept with her best friend's boyfriend, the man she was never supposed to see again, but Lindsey, on the other hand, got completely blind sided and he was struggling dealinig with the situation.

"Did you guys think the potatoes were a little undercooked?" Lauren asked, having just cleared the plates. 

"They were fine." Jane shrugged, sipping on her refilled glass of wine. "Everything you make is deliscious, you're just fishing for compliments." She added with a chuckle.

"Yeah, we'll see about that. I tried this new cheesecake recipe, I'm not sure it turned out so great."

Stevie barely listened. She didn't want to seem as acting odd, get through dinner as quickly and as painfully as possible and leave. She didn't know that Lauren and Lindsey were a couple, but it didn't make her hate herself any less. She felt a lump in her throat rise, when Lauren reached for Lindsey's hand and he held it for just a second, before reaching for a glass of water. Stevie didn't want to be the reason behind any problems in their relationship. Although, Lindsey was doing that quite well himself, with the cheating and all.

"Stevie, do you think you'll be able to get some time off for our trip?" Lauren asked and Stevie sighed.

The trip. It had completely escaped her mind. Jane's parents owned a vacation home, which they visited every summer and usually it was something Stevie looked forward to. However, her excitement dwindled, when Lauren spoke up again.

"I invited Lindsey and he'd love to come along." She smiled, gazing at him lovingly. "If you don't mind of course." Lauren said, turning to her friends.

"The more the merrier." Jane shrugged. "Maybe, Stevie and I will find ourselves a couple of hot guys to accompany us as well." She nudged Stevie, who smiled weakly, casting her eyes down. 

"I haven't really checked my schedule yet." Stevie replied to Lauren's question. 

"You're not backing out of this." Lauren shook her head, pointing a finger at Stevie.

"I'm not backing out. I just... I need to get some things in order first." Stevie said, briefly locking eyes with Lindsey.

"If this is a girl thing, I don't have to go." Lindsey faced Lauren, who shook her head.

"No, not at all. Please, Lindsey, you have to come! It's going to be so much fun." He sighed, sincerely doubting that. "Right, I think, it's time for desert." She pushed back her chair and got up. "Can anyone give me a hand?"

"Sure." Jane nodded and joined Lauren, walking with her to the kitchen.

As soon as they were left alone, Lindsey leaned in over the table, placing his hand over Stevie's, which she pulled away quickly. "We need to talk. Clealry."

"Not here, you asshole. I just knew you were a jerk. I can't believe you made me betray my best friend like that." Stevie glared at him and he shrunk in his seat. "I wish I truly never saw you again."

"Please, don't say that. Stevie, I can't stop thinking about you. I'm glad we met again."

"Are you serious right now?" Stevie scoffed. "Your girlfriend is about to return any second and you're telling me, you can't stop thinking about me, you piece of shit?"

"I know, I know." Lindsey nodded. "It was so wrong of me, asking you to come home with me, when I'm in a relationship, but Stevie, you-"

"This looks amazing!" Jane's presence interrupted them as she carried in Lauren's cheesecake. "I'm not on a diet tonight!" She laughed heartily, placing the desert in the centre of the table.

Lindsey folded his arms over his chest and sat back, while Stevie looked away and successfully ignored him for the rest of the night.

"Check your schedule." Lauren gave Stevie a look as they stood by the door, hugging goodbye. "You're going on that trip."

Stevie smiled and promised she was going to do so. "Hey, careful." Jane was having trouble standing on her feet up straight as Stevie gripped her arm, making sure she didn't fall.

"One glass too many." Jane giggled, attempting to put her shoes on.

"Maybe, I should drive you two home." Lindsey suggested, his eyes again focused on Stevie.

"We'll manage." She said, her teeth gritted.

"No, don't be silly." Lauren cut in. "Of course, Lindsey can drive you. It'll save you the embarrassement of riding in a cab with Jane."

"I'm not drunk." Jane disagreed, then hiccupped and giggled again. 

"It's no trouble." Lindsey shrugged.

Stevie didn't want to make a scene without a reason, so she unwillingly gave in. The car ride was silent in the front, while Jane was rambling to herself in the backseat. Lindsey wanted to say something just to fill the uncomfortable silence, but he knew Stevie wasn't going to respond.

"Will you manage, Jane?" Stevie asked, looking back over her shoulder at her friend.

"Yesss. I'm fine!" Jane waved it off and pushed the car door open. "I love you, Stevie. Nice to meet you, Lindsey." She got that all in one breath and slammed the door shut. 

Once Jane was inside the appartment building, Lindsey drove away from the sidewalk to bring Stevie home as well. She reluctantly gave him her address after warning him he was not to show up.

"Thank you." Stevie said, when Lindsey stopped the car. She was ready to get out, but he reached for her hand, causing her to look back at him. "Let go of me."

"Would you just please listen to me for a second?" Lindsey pleaded.

"I don't want to talk to you right now. I've got nothing to say."

"Stevie, we have a lot to talk about!" He insisted and she was already trying to prove to him that they didn't, when suddenly, he leaned over and kissed her. 

Stevie was caught off guard and she didn't know, how to respond. She couldn't deny that feeling his lips against her own made her heart skip a beat and she closed her eyes momentarily, before she snapped back to reality and pushed Lindsey away. She didn't say anything, she just slapped him across the face and climbed out of the car.