Part 19

Like the night before, Stevie was the last one, sitting outside, while everybody else had gone to bed. Unlike last night, Lindsey didn't come back. It was probably for the best. Although, when she read his message, it made her wonder. What did he mean, his relationship with Lauren wasn't, what it seemed to be? How can relationships be anything else? There was also another thing that Stevie couldn't stop thinking about - Lindsey was falling in love with her. He said so, anyway. Why would he say something, he didn't mean, though?

Stevie heard steps behind her and she assumed it was Lindsey. She was prepared for another heart to heart, but it wasn't him. 

"Mind if I sit with you?" Tom asked and Stevie nodded, giving him a small smile. "Can't sleep?"

"I don't go to bed until late. Besides, I enjoy the peace and quiet." Stevie replied, wrapping a blanket around herself tighter. "You?"

"Uh..." Tom smiled shyly, taking out a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket. "Jane doesn't know I smoke, so..."

"It's only fair that I keep my mouth shut." He lit up a cigarette and held the pack out for Stevie. "Oh, no. Thanks. I haven't touched one of those in a very long time. Besides, I've been feeling a little queasy. If I took one, I'd probably be running to the nearest bathroom real fast."

Tom sat back and crossed his legs, blowing the smoke out into the chilly night air. "We don't know each other, but I can tell that you have something on your mind."

"That's an understatement." Stevie sighed, placing her feet on the edge of her seat, she hugged her knees close to her chest. "I just want to go home."

"Does it have to do something with what I witnessed earlier?" He asked, unsure if she was comfortable talking about it.

"It's got everything to do with it." She nodded, reaching for a cup of tea she had made for herself before Tom came down.

"Lindsey can't take his eyes off you."

Stevie faced Tom, her eyebrows slightly raised. "Is it that obvious?"

"I suppose not if you're occupied, but since I met you all just yesterday and I don't have much to add to conversations... so yeah, it is." Taking another long drag, Tom wondered aloud. "It must be incredibly difficult for the both of you."

"I can't believe I'm in this situation." Stevie said, looking into the distance. "If Lauren ever found out, she'd hate me for the rest of her life."

"It's unfortunate, but I'm sure you didn't plan on any of this happening. You can't control your feelings. You can't help, falling in love."

"I'm not-" Stevie stopped herself. She didn't respond, when Lindsey told her, and she didn't even think, what it was she felt for him.

Tom smiled at her and stubbed out his cigarette. "You only have to be honest with yourself." He shrugged and wished her a goodnight.

Stevie spend about another hour by herself, when she decided to go to bed as well. She entered her room and turned on the bedside lamp. She found her nightgown and changed out of the clothes, she'd been wearing all day. Once under the covers, Stevie turned the light out and sighed heavily, closing her eyes. However, her eyes shot open minutes later, when she heard the door open and then close. There was only one person, who could be climbing in bed with her, the only set of arms, wrapping around her.

"I couldn't fall asleep." Lindsey said, holding her close. 

"You shouldn't be here, Lindsey." Stevie reminded him, then laced her fingers through his.

"I don't want to be anywhere else." He brushed her hair away from her neck and pressed his lips there. "You came into my life and turned it upside down. You made a mess of it, you ruined my plans, but... you're all I want, Stevie. You're all I can think about."

"You can't keep saying these things to me."

Turning her around in his embrace, Lindsey touched the side of Stevie's face with his palm. "I told you that I'm falling in love with you. There's not stopping me now." He brushed his thumb over her lips and knew she was smiling. "In the short period of time we've known each other, you've already changed me." His fingers tangled in her hair, it always seemed to relax her. "You were right. I was selfish, a jerk, I only cared about myself. Since I've met you... You're all I care about."

Stevie closed her eyes and hid her face in the crook of his neck. "I swore, I would never let another man into my heart again, Lindsey. I'm not the only one, ruining plans here."

He laughed lightly and pressed a kiss to her hair. "I'm not pushing you, Stevie. I'm not asking you to say anything back to me. I wondered if maybe we should take a break, but I don't want to. I want to be near you as much as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to soon."

Tilting her head up, Stevie kissed Lindsey on the chin then her lips pressed to his. "Can you stay until I fall asleep? I can't watch you go again."