Part 2: Chapter 27

Laarnie ran through the dark forest. Tears flowed from her eyes, the sight of blood and the corpses of her dead friends flashed through her mind. And an addition to that, she still can't believe that she killed Hans.

Her feet started to hurt and her legs started to feel weary. She rested at the foot of a paper tree and there she tried to catch her breath. She hugged her knees in the dark.

"Laarnie! Where are you?" Renza's voice echoed throughout the forest.

She lost track of Laarnie when she entered the forest. Laarnie heard Renza's call. She heard footsteps coming closer at her. She stood up instantly and she tried to form a smile, waiting for Renza to come out.

"Renza," she said, it was almost a whisper.

"Wrong," a highly-pitched but cold voice answered her.

She froze in place like her feet were glued to the dirt.

"No, please," she whispered.

His face was finally iluminated by the moonlight, an evil smirk formed in his face. His hair were still the same, his typical spiky-style and his eyeglasses reflected her image.

"Hey there, short-stuff," he said. He looked at her with hatred.

"Well, will you look at that. I’m getting very lucky," he said while walking around her, like a wolf about to attack its prey.

"Please, Herald (Student B05-E1H), don't kill me," she pleaded.

Herald approached Laarnie and plucked out all the leaves that got stuck in her curly pony-tail hair. Laarnie stood frozen in place. She took a slight glance at Herald, his expression hadn't change.

"Please, Herald, don't kill me," she repeated.

He chuckled, “What happened to the usual happy-go-lucky Laarnie in class?” he asked.

Laarnie didn’t answer his question. Herald plucked out the last leaf on her hair. He walked in front of Laarnie and looked at her straight in the eyes. Laarnie felt that she was melting.

"Laarnie! Where are you? Please answer me!"

Renza's voice echoed throughout the forest. Herald look to his right then back at Laarnie.

"Got separated with her?" Herald asked.

She slightly shook her head, "No, I ran away," she answered.

Herald chuckled at her answer. "For a very small kid, you're very brave though," Herald said, she felt that she blushed at his compliment.

"Well, uh, thanks, I guess," she replied.

 Herald chuckled. "I thought you won't accept my compliment," he said.

"Well, what can I do? You already said that to me," Laarnie replied.

Laarnie looked at Herald straight in his eyes. Laarnie can see her reflection through Herald’s eyeglasses but she can still see pass through her reflection, this is what scares her most, Herald’s looks at her. She can feel her whole body trembling. She removed her gaze from Herald but she can tell that Herald was still looking at her.

“Laarnie, answer me! Please!” Renza shouted.

Herald looked again to his right then at Laarnie.

“Laarnie,” Herald spoke softly.

Laarnie looked at Herald in the eyes. Laarnie’s face was now covered with cold sweat.

“What?” Laarnie asked.

“Call Renza here,” he answered.

Laarnie was surprised at Herald’s response. I thought that I was gonna die, Laarnie thought.

“You sure,” Laarnie asked.

“I’m sure,” Herald replied.

Laarnie inhaled and looked to her left. She licked her lips and cleared her throat.

“I’m over here, Renza!” Laarnie shouted back.

Renza heard Laarnie’s response. Her chest felt lighter when she heard it. She smiled then ran to the direction of Laarnie’s voice.

“I’m coming Laarnie!” Renza shouted.

Laarnie smiled when she heard Renza’s fast footsteps. She looked back at Herald. Laarnie’s eyes widen in horror, the nuzzle of Herald’s gun was pointing at her face. She saw Herald grinned behind the gun.

“You just let Renza fell into my trap,” Herald said.

Laarnie’s lips were trembling. She heard Renza’s fast pace coming closer, she kicked Herald in his crotch. Herald fell to the ground and held his crotch. Renza reached the area where Laarnie and Herald are. Renza saw Herald lying in pain in the ground. Laarnie looked at Renza.

“What happened here?” Renza asked.

“Run!” Laarnie shouted.

“Answer me!” Renza said.

Before Laarnie could answer, they heard an ear-shattering sound like an old typewriter. Laarnie fell to the ground and her uniform was stained crimson red at the side of her right stomach down to her hips.

Renza watched in horror as Laarnie’s body lied to the ground. Her whole body was twitching for twenty seconds then after that, it stopped. She’s dead.

Renza furiously looked at Herald. Herald stood up and ran away, still holding his crotch. He looked like an old crippled man with a paralyzed left arm that’s walking in a funny way.

“You’ll pay for that!” Renza shouted at Herald.

Renza dashed to where Herald ran off. He heard Renza’s pace coming to him very fast. He ignored the pain he’s feeling and ran even faster.

Alvin Dela Fuente (Student B13-E1H) heard the gunshot and now, the running footsteps coming his way. He stood up immediately and prepared his crossbow. He saw a dark figure coming to his place. He pointed his crossbow at the figure and fired an arrow at it.

Herald felt something scraped his left arm. He saw a standing figure in front of him. He pointed his Ingram at the figure and fired bullets at it. The sound echoed throughout the island.

Alvin’s body fell to the ground and blood started to come out from the bullet holes covering his body. Herald looked at the corpse then started running again.

Renza passed Alvin’s corpse that she didn’t even noticed it. She tripped over Alvin’s daypack and she rolled to the dirt. She screamed not in pain but in anger. She clenched her hands and punched the ground.

“You’re gonna pay for that!” Renza shouted.

Student B13-E1H: Dela Fuente

Student G16-E1H: Guzman

2 DEAD   13 students remaining