Part 2: Chapter 22

Katya Maniquiz (Student G07-E1H) was taking guard again at the lighthouse. She can see the whole island at the top of the lighthouse. She can also see some of the players moving from one sector to another. Just a few hours ago, she saw Franz Arjay Paulino (Student B25-E1H) and Medwin Maniego (Student B31-E1H) at the beach just a few meters away from the lighthouse.

Below, Paolo Hans Oanes (Student B03-E1H) was sleeping at the couch, blocking the main entrance of the lighthouse. Sarah Jae Costales (Student G40-E1H), Lorelie Salva (Student G23-E1H) and Ma. Katheleen Fuentes (Student G18-E1H) were searching for some vegetables at the forest.

Laarnie Guzman (Student G16-E1H), Joi Katherine Anagao (Student G39-E1H) and Renza Brigette Pasamonte (Student G27-E1H) were laughing out loud at the guest room. Marjori Marquez (Student G19-E1H) and Jholina Bhaby Pangilinan (Student G15-E1H) were bathing at the beach beside the lighthouse.

“How’s everyone?” the deep-voiced man said.

All of them stopped from what they are doing. They hurriedly took out their maps and pens at their pockets. Jholina and Marjori listened while at the sea.

“Just take a short lunch break from the killing, ‘kay?” the man said.

“Here is the list of your dead friends for the whole morning,” the man continued.

“Student No. 44, Bautista and Student No. 48, Ramos, a total of two! I’m telling you right now that, please be careful, because these two were caught in a danger zone,” the man said.

“Who would be dumb enough to go inside a danger zone?” Jholina said to Marjori. Marjori ignored her.

“Now, for the danger zones, listen very carefully!

“Starting from 1:00 PM, F=5. Then from 2:00 PM, B=4. From 3:00 PM, D=10. From 4:00 PM, H=11. From 5:00 PM, E=1. Last, from 6:00 PM, J=2. That’s it for today! Back in touch!” and the voice of the man disappeared and the sound of the chirping birds can be heard again.

Katya counted the list of their dead classmates. Their map also had the list of their classmates at both sides of the map; she crossed out the names that are being mentioned every time there’s an announcement. The total of their dead friends was 28, more than half of their population.

“This game will sure end quickly,” she said to herself.

She put back her map and pen at her pocket. She slid her hand inside her pocket. She felt something hard inside. She grabbed it and she slowly took it out. It was like a small slim blue rectangular box with many buttons and a wide screen.

“MY PHONE!” she shouted.

Her heartbeat raced, her hope suddenly increased, she can now finally go home. She unlocked her phone and she looked at the signal, PERFECT!

She dialed up the number of her father. She put her phone in her left ear. It rang a few times and someone answered it. She almost jumped in excitement.

“Hello?” a voice spoke through the other line.

“Dad? Dad! It’s me, Katya, well, even though it’s a little bit late, but, I’m in grave danger! Dad, please save me!” she almost shouted it. A tear flowed down her right eye.

There’s a moment of silence after that. She waited for her father’s reply.

“Of course, sweety, I’ll save you,” replied her father.

The voice of her father sent chills down her spine. Why is his voice different? She thought.

“Are…are you alright, dad?” she asked.

There was another moment of silence. He heard someone giggled in the background.

“Haha, nice try Katya, I forgot to tell you that all of the phone connections are not available, if you try to call someone, it’ll automatically transmits the call here at the school,” someone replied.

Katya’s whole body started to shake. She threw her phone down the lighthouse. Her phone crashed to the sand, her phone was still in one piece. She hugged her knees and sobbed.

“There’s no hope in this game,” she whispered.

22 students remaining