Part 1: Chapter 02

He covered his ears with his bare hands and tried to calm himself. The rustling sound from the bushes in front of him wouldn't stop. Please be an ally, he prayed. His whole body was shaking from the cold wind and from his fear.

Evan Lee Wagan (Student B17-E1H) closed his eyes and let the rustling sound stop. After a few minutes, his prayer had finally been answered. The rustling sound stopped. His body started to calm down and the chills he felt before was now gone.

He looked up at the starry sky. A memory from their block entered his mind. He remembered his Filipino subject teacher that he, along with other four which are Katya Maniquiz (Student G07-E1H), Kizzie Louisse Tomas (Student G14-E1H), Rosti Eliezar Barnachea (Student B11-E1H), and Gilbert Garcia (Student B12-E1H). They were assigned to have a short skit about the normal conversation of classmates inside the class.

“Okay, you five go outside of the room and discuss your skit. I’ll give you ten minutes to prepare,” said their teacher.

The five of them followed and discussed their skit. They heard cheers inside the room and Evan went to the windows to take a look at the class. He saw Lyka Jane Ganias (Student G3-E1H) and Gilbert Del Rosario (Student B20-E1H) standing.

“Okay, go outside too and discuss your skit,” said the teacher and the two walk out of the room.

The two went outside the room and passed them by. Evan followed them and asked Gilbert.

“What’s your topic?” Evan asked Gil.

“About two lovers,” Gil answered.

The other four also heard Gil’s answer. The five laughed very hard, Evan holds to his stomach, trying to stop his laughter.

“Hey, let’s practice already,” Lyka said to Gil.

“Okay,” Gil replied.

The five looked at the two. They heard another cheer inside the room; the five looked inside the room and John Elmer Zinampan (Student B26-E1H) and Roy John Gloria (Student B33-E1H) standing up, looking very embarrassed.

“Okay, go out and practice” said the teacher to them.

The two walked out of the room from the other door. The two looked at the five and looked seriously at each other.

“Evan, go ask them what their topic is,” Kizzie said.

Evan walked towards them and patted Elmer on the shoulder. Elmer faced Evan and raised his eyebrow.

“What?” Elmer asked.

“What is your topic?” Evan asked.

“Father and Son talk,” Elmer answered.

Evan nodded and looked at the two.

“So, who will be playing as the father here?” Evan asked.

“Me,” Roy answered.

Evan laughed hard and all of the students at the corridor at that time looked at him. Evan notices that all of them are staring at him. Evan takes a deep breath and looked again at the two.

“Elmer, why won’t you play as the father? You look much older than Roy, you know,” Evan said and then giggled.

“Shut up! Go back to your group, will you?” Elmer angrily answered.

“Okay,” Evan said while smiling.

He walked back again at his group and discussed what are they going to do. He smiles at that memory, one of his precious memories at his college life.

He grabbed his daypack beside him and looked for his water bottle and map. He took out his water bottle first and took off its cap. He gently pressed the mouth of the bottle to his lips and he took three sips and sealed it again. He returned it back in his bag. He searched for his map. He noticed something shiny, I think that's a metal blade, he thought.

He pulled out the blade and he examined it. There's a wooden handle on its edge. He examined it some more and to his realization, he was very surprised, this was one of his dreams to hold and see it up-close, it's a sickle. Its blade shone through the moonlight, reflecting its light to a nearby mango tree.

He put down his weapon and searched for his map inside his bag. He took out a plastic sealable bag and there's a compass, map and a pen inside of it. He took out the map and look at it.

"Let's see," he said to himself.

He looked at his map and saw the school building in Sector G=7. There's a lake at the northern part of the school. He remembered that he ran at the west part of the school He didn't know whether he's in sector G=8 or G=9. He put the map back inside the day pack.

He rested his back on the trunk of the mango tree. He looked at his weapon and examined it once again. He pouted after thinking one thing.

"This is useless, a gun is much better than this crap," he said and threw the sickle in the dark part of the forest in his right and he heard a dull thud.

He looked at the direction where he threw the sickle and looked up at the night sky. There are many stars already, forming constellations, he thought. He looked at his wristwatch and it read 3:49 AM. Just a few hours more and it's 6 in the morning, he thought.

He closed his eyes and rested for a while. He smelled something rusty coming from his right. He opened his eyes and looked at his watch again. It reads 4:51 AM.

“Did I fell asleep?” he muttered. The rusty smell won't go off.

“Maybe it's the sickle's smell,” he said.

 He suddenly felt nervous and there's another rustling sound coming from his left. His body started to tremble again.

"I think it's much better to have that weapon," he said to himself.

He grabbed his daypack and went to the direction where he threw his sickle. He took out his flashlight and light up his path. He looked to his left and right just in case someone will notice his light. He looked at the banana tree in front of him and he felt something soft in his right foot.

"What the," he said.

He looked down on his right foot and saw a hand, someone's hand. He fell to the ground and he dropped his flashlight. His flashlight rolled to the ground and lit up a face lying down on the ground. His eyes widen with shock.

"No," he said in a gasp.

John Emmanuel Elibado (Student B42-E1H) was lying lifeless on the mud. His left eye was swollen out of his socket. There's a huge trace of blood across the left side of his face. What surprised Evan the most is: his sickle was planted on the left side of his head.

“It’s impossible, did I really kill him?” he asked himself.

He felt nauseated about the view. Emmanuel’s tongue was sticking out and his braces were covered with blood. He tried to calm himself down and tried to pry his sickle loose out of his victim’s head. He easily took out his sickle and he saw some dark red bits on his sickle.

"JM's brain?" he poked the small lump on the sickle.

He looked at the brain and licked the blade together with the small lump of JM’s brain. He chewed the brain and swallowed it.

"Delicious!" he shouted.

His voice echoed throughout the island. He ignored the fact that maybe someone will find him. He wiped the blood off the sickle and he put it back again in his daypack.

He took his daypack and Elibado's daypack. He dug up Elibado's daypack and found a SIG-P226. He walked back at his recent place. He sat down again at the mango tree and he fell asleep.

Student B42-E1H: Elibado

DEAD   48 students remaining