The Next Step [20]

Kennedy laughed as Jon tickled at her sides while they laid on the leather couch in her office. The holidays were wonderful with her family, and she and Jon rung in the New Year in New York City when they planned a spur-of-the-moment trip for just the two of them.

Now it was back to work, but work was more like play, especially when the two of them were together. Though a lot of their time was spent in offices, hotel rooms, or random corridors of the arena, it felt reassuring having each other to spend time with. Usually it would be lonely since Jon would be stuck with his friends, but now having a girlfriend who shared the same schedule it made things easier.

"Stop babe!" Kennedy got through her fit of giggles, attempting to pushing away at his hands.

He chuckled and stopped laying back so Kennedy could turn and rest her head on his chest as her fingers doodled on his shirt, humming softly.

"Did you get the new scripts?" Jon proposed, and Kennedy shook her head and stared up at him.

"Not yet, I thought they were supposed to be printed earlier today?" He nodded, and she just shrugged. There could be technical difficulties with the printer since they always printed what seemed like a hundred of papers every day.

"I'm sure we'll get them before the show starts. Usually gramps is on top of things, but maybe he's just a little rusty since we've been on vacation for the holidays." Jon grinned and wrapped his arms around her frame, his thumb rubbing circles on her shoulder.

"Did he like his present I gave him?" Kennedy nodded and smiled. He had gotten all the men in her family the same bottle of whiskey he had gifted Paul and they liked it very much.

"Yeah, I talked to my grandmother the other day, and she told me half the bottle is gone."

He snapped his fingers and shot Kennedy a sly smirk. "Remind me to get him another bottle."

Kennedy shook her head and snorted as they talked more about the holidays.

"New York was fun. Did you like it?" Kennedy asked.

She felt him wiggled and puff. "Spending time with you and having sex was great, but the ball drop seemed anticlimactic."

He heard her laughed and shake her head, then looked up at him. "The sex was pretty amazing, but I do think they hype up the ball drop too much. It looks like more fun on TV than it does in real life."

Jonathan and Kennedy remained in the very crowded and cold Times Square as they waited for the ball to drop at midnight to ring in the new year. Jon was insistent about keeping his arms wrapped tightly around his girl. There were a bunch of drunk strangers and he didn't want anything to happen to her.

Kennedy knew that this wasn't entirely Jon's plans for New Year, he suggested staying in and watching it on TV, but Kennedy wanted to seize the moment and go down to see it in person.

"Jon, baby, you're so tense. Relax, please." She told him, her thumbs brushing upon his cheekbones while he grumbled and did his best to ease up.

"Theres a bunch of drunks here, you could get hurt." Kennedy giggled and pecked his lips.

"Now who would want to hurt me when I have a professional wrestler on my arm." He snickered and shook his head while Kennedy shrieked and pointed up at the countdown.

"Look babe!" He looked up at the big screen and there it was. 10 more seconds until the new year.

He cupped her cheeks and together they counted down with laughter, filling their voices for how cliche this was.