Safe Keeping [38]

Soon their hotel room suite was filled with two hotel security guards, police officers, along with her parents, who got the shocking call a few minutes after Jon had called authorities.

"How did this even happen? Why would someone target you two?" Stephanie asked, looking over at Jon and Kennedy, who sat speechless.

"I-I have no idea. I swear to god, Jon and I were in here finishing up brunch and I answered the door thinking room service may have forgotten something to give us, but no, it was just this baby." Kennedy said motioning her hands to the baby still sleeping in the stroller that was now in their room.

"Do you guys have any guesses on whose baby this might be?" Officers asked them and they both shook their heads.

"No, and none of our friends who have children would drop off their baby to us like this—I've never even seen this child before." Jon told the officers, who jotted everything down.

"So what happens now?" Paul asked them.

"We take the baby into custody of the state, try to find the parents or guardians. If they don't turn up, we'll run some DNA tests to find them and issue a warrant for their arrest. Then baby either gets taken in by other family or foster care." They spoke, making Kennedy and Jon worrisome.

Kennedy's knees bounced up and down as she bit her lip, thinking about how and why this could happen. Her eyes drifted to the officers who wore gloves unpacking the diaper bag full of clothes and other baby items. But it was a red and white beanie that caught her eye when it was taken out of the bag.

Everything came back in flashes when she remembered who the belongings belonged to. 

She stood up from her place on the couch, pointing to it. Everyone watched on confused.

"Babe?" Jon asked, watching her, but she didn't respond.

"C-Can I see that?" She stuttered, walking over to the officer who looked over at his colleagues, giving him permission to give her the item.

She held it in her hands, inspecting it, trying to think back in her memory where she had seen this hat before. Then it hit her.

"What city are we in?" She asked, turning around to her parents and Jon.

"Jacksonville. Is something wrong, Kennedy?" Her dad asked.

She stood there with a blank face, turning pale almost, which is when Jon got up grabbing her by the shoulders snapping her out of her haze.

"You're scarring us, doll. Tell me what's going on." He said sternly.

"That baby is Zoey." She whispered.

"Who?" He asked her again confused.

"Zoey. Remember that little girl we visited a few days before Mania? Her names Bella, she has cancer and doesn't have much time to live. This is her sister, Zoey. I remember this is the hat that Bella was wearing. And their mother is Sonia." Kennedy said, recalling everything she remembered from that day.

"A-are you sure?" Jon asked, taking a deep breath as she nodded, walking over to the baby.

"Y-Yea, and this is the same blanket she was in when I was holding her, remember?" She pointed out to the light pink blanket embroidered with daisies, which was the same one from that day, and finally Jon had remembered.

"So you two know who this child is?" The officers asked, and they nodded.

"We met this baby and her sister during one of our company visits to the children's pediatric cancer unit in Orlando. Their mom, Sonia, told us they weren't living the best lives financially, and I gave her my number in case she ever needed anything." Kennedy said.