Chapter 17

The two men stood hand in hand at the entrance to what they knew would be the beginning of the end for their time together. The path to that finality was paved in the prettiest stones, leading to a quaint, cottage-like house. The door painted green, the small yard filled with garden space, the windows open and laughter dancing on the wind letting them know that this was a home where people were happy to be.

"I'm not ready," Harry held onto Louis' hand tighter.

"We can take as long as you need Haz," Louis clutched Harry's hand in return. And there they stood. Holding hands. Waiting for the other person to insist they keep going. Neither of them wanted to move.

It was then that the green door swung open, revealing a mother and daughter talking animatedly to one another. They both stopped on the instant when they saw the two men watching them.

"Can we help you?" It was the younger woman, Harry couldn't breathe.

"I, um, I'm looking for my sister." The older woman's eyes widened, her face paling.

"I'm guessing that's me. Mom, why don't you see if dad has a minute to talk with us out here," she gently ushered her mother back inside before turning back to face Harry and Louis. "I'm Gemma." She held out her hand, Harry let go of Louis, walked forward and shook it.

"Harry."

"Son of Aphrodite or something like that right?"

"Uh, yeah. Did you know about me?"

"Yeah, dad doesn't like to talk about it, because it's upsetting for mom but, yeah. He told me I had a little brother. What are you doing here? Were you bored of the gods and all their gilded lies?" She gestured them over to a small clearing with chairs on the side of the house.

"Well, I guess you could say that."

"Ah, so this is some grand hero's journey then? You're here to do the gods bidding?"

"Yes, and no," Harry wasn't really sure how to navigate this conversation. He thought she'd be more excited to meet him.

"Well what do you want from us then?" She settled into her seat and looked at him with raised eyebrows. Harry felt speechless.

"Gemma that's not a great way to treat your brother, now is it?" Harry looked, wide-eyed, at a kind looking man who was walking toward them slowly. "Hello Harry, it's nice to finally meet you."

Harry sputtered, trying desperately to find the right words to meet his father. His father?

"You knew about me but you never wanted to know me?" What was that? That was not a thought Harry knew he had in his head. He was uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry son, I knew you were going to be born. Your mother asked me to go to Olympus with her. But, I couldn't."

"Why?"

"I already had Gemma. I had her mother, my wife. And a community that needed me. Aphrodite is not a time in my life I'm particularly proud of."

"I was never meant to happen then?" Harry reached back desperately to find Louis. He was there, taking his hand.

"No.But I'm happy you did. I'm so happy that I get to meet you now." He reached out to Harry, but Harry couldn't move. His eyes were glazing over and he was starting to feel dizzy.

"Harry? Harry are you okay?"

"Shit. No, of course he's not okay. Move," Louis came in front of Harry and put his hands on either side of Harry's face. "Focus on me, Harry. Focus. On. Me." Harry's glazing eyes met Louis' clear ones. "It's okay if we need to leave." Harry shook his head. "Okay, breathe for me then darlin, just breathe." Harry nodded, his breathing deepening. Louis rested his forehead on Harry's to breathe with him.

"I'm okay Lou, I'm okay," he whispered, wrapping Louis' wrists in his hands. "I'm okay." Louis stepped back to Harry's side and waited.

"Would you both like to stay the night here?" Harry's father offered, a deep and evident concern in his eyes. Louis looked to Harry.

"Yeah, that would be great dad."