:: Nine

:: N I N E ::

Ellie was utterly confused. What happened to the carefree life she had with an ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude? Instead of that she has now landed herself in the middle of Luke’s desolation. She looked at the tall lanky boy who was asleep, stretched out on the sofa with his legs dangling off the edge and his head resting on her lap. Ellie had never seen anyone look as miserable as Luke did when he was recalling what had happened ten years ago. She sighed and checked time on her phone which she took slowly from her pocket without trying to wake Luke. He looked peaceful in his sleep and she didn’t want to break that.

Eleven already? Ellie thought, groaning. She had to get home before her mom got worried so she slowly stood up, extracting herself ever so slowly from Luke and placing his head on a soft pillow that she grabbed from the sofa next to the one they were on. His eyelids fluttered and he opened them slowly, squinting to block out the light in the living room. He stretched his arms and asked, “Where are you going, El?”

“I have to go home, Luke. My mom will be wondering where I’ve gone.” She stated.

“I’ll drop you home.” He yawned, still stretching his hands and getting up slowly. He sat up straight, blinking, staring into space. He yawned again. Ellie thought he looked ridiculous sitting there yawning with the hair at the back of his head all messy and sticking out at random angles. She clamped her lips tightly to prevent any giggles from escaping her lips.

“Is this the first time you slept, Luke?” Ellie asked jokingly as Luke stood up, taking his time at it.

“Actually, yes it is.” He shrugged. It was true. He hadn’t slept properly in as long as he could remember. The eye bags under his eyes had to be proof enough.

“Oh.” Ellie said, feeling guilty.

“Yeah,” Luke smiled. “Come on, let’s get you home.” He said, leading the way to his car parked outside after putting on his black vans.

-

The car ride was quiet with the exception of All Time Low playing from the car stereo. Their complete Don’t Panic album was playing and Ellie enjoyed it since they were one of her utmost favorite bands. She found herself leaning forward and increasing the volume when she heard A Daydream Away playing. She was staring ahead with a wide grin plastered on her face. She felt herself fangirling on the inside, getting the warm, fuzzy feeling she would always get when she listened to this song.

Luke giggled bringing Ellie out of her trance and she turned to look at him, her head leaning on the headrest. Ellie looked at Luke questioningly with an eyebrow raised. Luke looked at Ellie for a second before looking back at the street. “You should seriously see your face right now.” He chuckled. “Because, like Alex says,” He said. “You’re grinning like a fool.” He sang before laughing at his own lame joke.

Ellie rolled her eyes but couldn’t help a smile from creeping onto her lips. “Well aren’t you the funniest.” She stated sarcastically. “Oh and all jokes aside, you have a really nice voice man.” She said honestly.

“Well, thanks man.” He said emphasizing the word ‘man’, mimicking Ellie, making her lean towards him and punch his arm. “Woah, woah!” he exclaimed gaining control of the car which he momentarily almost lost. “Serious driving here, mate.”

“Oh so you can call me mate but I can’t call you man?” Ellie huffed. “Aren’t you a man?”

“I most definitely am.” Luke said, facing Ellie when they stopped at a red light, and pretended to fix his collar.