:: Four

THANK YOU SO MUCH for 450+ reads and 50+ votes! It really means a lot! Comment and give feedback i appreciate it! Vote too please! it'd mean the world!

:: F O U R ::

“I don’t get this!” groaned Luke in frustration. It was the second day of tutoring and Luke was moodier than usual. Ellie hadn’t brought up the questions yet. She was dying to know what was up with him. Why he wouldn’t talk to anyone – why he was the way he is.

“Luke, its basic Algebra.” Ellie said trying to sound calm. “All you have to do is to add the like terms!”

“How do I know what’s like and what’s not?” Luke protested making Ellie face palm.

“Like terms means when the x has the same power.” Ellie wasn’t sure whether Luke really didn’t understand or whether he was just trying to piss her off.

“Oh.” Luke said getting back to his sum, furrowing his eyebrows in concentration as he played with his lip ring.

Ellie took her cup of coffee and began sipping on it as she waited for Luke to finish the sum she gave him. All she could think was who really is Luke? What’s his story? Why is he such a mystery? But obviously getting answers out of him wasn’t possible – at all.

But Ellie, being stubborn, decided to give it one more try. “So, Luke.” She started cautiously. “Why are you so quiet in school?”

“Because I want to?” he shrugged and started getting back to his sum.

“But why? Why don’t you talk to anyone?” she persisted.

“Why are you so stubborn?” He asked as he smirked.

“I am not stubborn. I just want to know why you don’t talk to anyone. Is there something bothering you? Did something happen?” She went on.

“Look, can you drop it? I guess you’re trying to be nice or whatever but just drop it.” Luke asked – his smirked dropped – with his full concentration fixed on Ellie.

“Look, Luke. I’m just trying to reach out for you here. Not just in math either. I don’t know what happened to you, what you’ve been through, but if you would just let me – “ She was interrupted when Luke burst out.

“No! I don’t need your help, okay?” he said as his eyes flashed.

“Gosh, fine.” Ellie said completely shocked at Luke’s sudden change of mood. “If you don’t want to tell me then don’t.”

“Look, I’ll just be heading home now. I’ve had enough math for today.” Luke said getting up and packing up his books and pencils. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said flinging his bag over his shoulder and walking out of the café.

-

“And he walked out? Just like that?” asked Kira. Ellie had decided to meet up with Kira since it was Saturday and they always hung out on Saturday. They were currently at the mall sipping on smoothies while walking around window shopping.

“Yes, just like that.” Ellie sighed as she massaged her temples. She couldn’t believe Luke had just stormed away like that. Was it that much of a sensitive topic that he couldn’t even mention it to her? Was he on drugs? No, no, that couldn’t be it. She thought. Might as well try and ask some other time once I get to know him well enough.

“Hello! Earth to Ellie.” Kira said as she waved her hand in front of Ellie’s face startling Ellie and bringing her out of her thoughts. “Did you hear what I just said?” she asked.

“Uhm, sorry, no I didn’t. What did you say?” Ellie asked.

“Where is your mind woman?” Kira rolled her eyes. “Anyway I said, you almost blew me off to tutor that idiot and he just storms away from you.”

Ellie sighed. “I know. I just don’t know why. He’s such a mystery, Kira.”

“When will you be tutoring him again?” Kira asked curiously.

Ellie just shrugged.

-

Hell had you by the throat.
You never got to heaven but you got real close.
Your past has you in a choke hold.
But you deserve it from what I've been told.

Ellie’s mini concert was interrupted when she heard mom yelling “Ellie! Phone!” from downstairs. She groaned as she pulled her long brown curls into a ponytail after pausing the song she was listening to. She walked downstairs and into the living room where the phone was. Who could be calling me on the landline? She thought, confusion etched on her face.

“Hello?” She said slowly.

“Um, Ellie?” said the deep voice.

“Yes? Wait is it Luke?” She asked sighing internally.

“Uh…” The voice hesitated and she heard him taking a deep breath. “Yes, it’s me. Look I just wanted to apologize about today I didn’t mean to lash out on you like that. It’s… it’s just…” Luke sighed. “It’s nothing. I called to check whether you’ll be free on Monday, for the tutoring I mean.”

Ellie who had been quiet, spoke out saying, “Well, yeah I guess so. Same place?” she asked.

“Yes, please. And thank you for all the help really. It means a lot.” He said quietly.

“No problem, Luke.” Ellie sighed. “See you then. Bye.”

“Alright, bye.” With that he ended the call and Ellie placed the receiver back down and stared at the phone lost in thought.

Crash! Something smashed scaring the living daylights out of Ellie who ran outside to see what had happened.

Author's note: Oh gosh i haven't updated in ages i'm so sorry! It's been so hectic and i've barely been able to sit in one place for even an hour. i hope you guys like this and yes it's kind of slow but please bear with me. i need to build up on the story before taking it anywhere.

- Pooji