:: Thirty Two

:: T H I R T Y   T W O ::

Ellie dragged her suitcase by its handle towards her dorm with her backpack straps slung around her shoulders. She didn't look it on the outside, but on the inside she was dying of nerves.

People were passing by her shooting friendly smiles which she returned. Most of them walked in pairs and Ellie realized that most have come with their best friends.

She read the numbers on the doors as she walked past. 11, 12, 13...

She almost made it to her door when a bunch of boys ran past hooting after pushing one of their friends to the floor.

Ellie shook her head with amusement and a tall, brunette amidst the group looked at her and flashed her a wide smile showing his pearly whites and winked.

Ellie just smiled and entered her dorm. A blonde girl, who was hanging up a collage of colorful pictures, turned around when she heard the outside commotion which drifted in when Ellie opened the door.

Once she turned around, both the girls let out a gasp.

"Briana?" Ellie said with wide eyes as Briana responded with "Ellie?" at the same moment.

Both girls ended up laughing and exchanged hugs.

"What? I didn't realize you were going here!" Ellie jokingly slapped Briana's arm when they sat on her bed. "I thought you applied to–"

"I did," Briana nodded, cutting her off. "But I didn't get in and this was my second choice," she shrugged.

Ellie nodded and Briana continued, "Is Luke here too?" she asked.

Ellie shook her head and a sad smile formed on her lips. "He's still back home. He's going to start teaching kids and, well anyone really, to play guitar. He already started his classes," she said.

"Oh? I didn't know he could play," Briana said.

"He can and he's really good at it," Ellie smiled proudly. "He serenades me all the time," she chuckled.

"That sounds great," Briana laughed. "Well at least I know my roomie!" she said, wrapping an arm around Ellie's shoulders and hugging her side.

"That is honestly a relief," Ellie shook her head. "I was so nervous about what to expect, I almost collapsed right on the first step."

"Oh my god, Els," Briana laughed as she stood up and walked over to her already made up wall. "That wouldn't have been a very good impression," she said as she began pasting the last few pictures and Ellie laughed in agreement. "And take off your backpack."

"Backpack?" Ellie asked confusedly until she touched her shoulders and felt the straps. Oh.

Ellie got up from Briana's bed and walked over to hers, dropping the backpack onto it before standing beside Briana.

"That's a lot of pictures," she said, looking at every single picture until one caught her eye. It was a picture the two of them had taken together back in kindergarten when they were friends. She still has this? Ellie thought in awe.

It brought back so many memories of the two playing with Barbie dolls before tossing them out the window pretending it was a rescue mission. Before Kira had walked in and split the two up.

"Aren't you going to unpack your stuff?" Briana asked and Ellie nodded before doing just that.

-

-

Luke positioned himself on his stool before picking up his guitar and smiling at the group of kids in front of him.