:: Thirteen

:: T H I R T E E N ::

And five months later their friendship was still going stronger than ever. Ellie felt as if someone had accidentally hit the fast forward button. That’s how fast the time had flown and, to Ellie, it felt like just yesterday that she was asked to tutor Luke. But Luke, on the other hand, didn’t want to be just ‘friends’ with Ellie. But he also didn’t want to spoil their friendship by trying anything out of hand. So, he was glad that he could spend a lot of time with her as they do every day.

Little did he know that Ellie felt the same way. In her case, she was also worried about ending up hurt. These thoughts were distracting Ellie from her studies. She was pouring over her enormous Physics textbook, trying to absorb something, anything, so she could pass her finals which were in a week. These finals were crucial since they were serving as the mock exams before they had their IB exams the upcoming month.

Physics was never Ellie’s strong point. But since it was one of her three main subjects, she had to do everything she could to ace the exam. Thank God History is just an optional fourth subject or else I would be dead by now. Ellie thought, relief washing over her.

I made up my mind, this time I, know, know it all comes down to this.
This is our time, this is our time. Don't slip away, don’t slip away.

Ellie’s phone started blaring out her ringtone on the bed next to her. She looked at the caller ID before picking up and saying, “Hey, Luke.”

“Hey, El!” He spoke excitedly. “What are you up to today?” Ellie could picture him all excited with twinkly eyes as he spoke.

“Well, right now, I’m thinking of ways to kill Isaac Newton. I know he’s already dead, but I’m going to dig up his grave and give him a piece of my mind.” She responded dejectedly.

“Having trouble with Physics again?” He asked, catching up quickly.

“Yes.” She groaned, rolling onto her stomach and burying her face in her pillow. “Can you hear my misery?” She asked, her voice sounding muffled through the pillow.

Luke chuckled. “Why don’t you give it a rest for a while? I know what you’re going to say,” He said when he heard Ellie trying to interrupt. “We have finals in a week, Luke, how can we be wasting time?” He mimicked her making her laugh. “But if you let me take you somewhere today, I’ll help you out with Physics.”

“You’re good with Physics?” Ellie asked, shocked at the revelation.

“Don’t sound so shocked. Yes, I’m good with Physics. And the offer’s about to expire, Hawthorn, in three, two,” He started the countdown.

“This is news to me. You’re good with Physics.” Ellie muttered, mostly to herself.

“One, zero point five, and – “ He stopped once he heard Ellie yelling through the phone. “Hmm?” He asked, a smirk playing on his lips from amusement.

“Fine, I’ll take your offer. What do you have in mind for today anyway?” She asked curiously, to which Luke responded with, “It’s a surprise. Be ready in half an hour,” before disconnecting the call, leaving Ellie no time to even respond before hurrying to get dressed. 

Ellie tied her hair up in a high ponytail and grabbed her phone before closing her room door and walking downstairs. “Let’s go.” She said when she spotted Luke who was in deep conversation with her mother. Her mother had a look on her face that was between a mix of surprise and delight – more of the latter.

Ellie’s mother was now so used to Luke being around their house that he was like her own son. Whenever Luke would show up at their place, Ellie’s mother would be beaming since he always knew the best way to be around her. Jane would always do everything she could do to make Luke feel at home. From baking cookies to having his own room set up for when he needed to stay. Which he did do once, when his brother had gone out and locked their house door not knowing that Luke had forgotten his spare key and left it on his table.