:: Twenty Six

:: T W E N T Y   S I X ::

Ellie was lying on her bed, rereading Looking for Alaska by John Green – one of her favorite books in the world. Luke had gone tuxedo hunting with Ashton and Calum. Ellie was now home alone since school was officially over and she had nothing to do but idle about.

Halfway through her book she heard something clawing at her door. She stood up and cautiously opened the door, book in hand, ready to attack in case there were any intruders. But what she was met with was definitely not a very intimidating intruder. Instead, it was a white, fluffy ball that woofed and wagged its tail excitedly when it saw Ellie.

It was the puppy Jake was yammering about bringing home but Ellie hadn't known that he had already brought it.

Ellie placed her book on the bedside stand after placing the red bookmark between the pages. She then stooped down and picked up the puppy who was so excited and was acting like a kid on a sugar high, almost falling from Ellie's grasp.

"Calm down, you," Ellie giggled as the puppy licked her face enthusiastically. "Where were you all this time, girl?" She asked the puppy who woofed in response. "Come one," she said as she carried the puppy to her bed and continued reading her book.

-

Four movies, two pizzas and a game of FIFA later, Ellie and the boys – they had decided to drop by after buying their tuxes – were sprawled across the couches and the floor of the living room with empty pizza boxes and cans of coke lying around.

"Hey, Ellie," Calum said as he raised his head from the pillow on the floor. "Where's Jake? I haven't seen him in a while."

"He had school today and he said he'd be going to a friend's after. He'll probably be back by 9," she said as she ran her small hand through Luke's blonde hair as he had his head down on her lap.

They remained quiet, each in their own worlds. Ellie had her back against the couch as she sat on the floor with Luke's head in her lap as he played with his many bracelets. Calum was lying on the floor with a pillow under his head. Ashton was lying on the couch, staring up at the ceiling.

"Let's watch another movie," Ashton suggested before getting up and inserting another DVD after taking out the previous one.

-

-

Prom night. It was the scariest thing Ellie had ever heard of. But here she was showering, shaving, dressing up in a gorgeous dress and heels with no regrets. The only thing going through her mind was, 'You're going to spend this day with Luke. It's going to be alright, Ellie! Woman up!'

She applied some blush and heavy black eyeliner to go along with her light pink (almost nude) lips. She sprayed some perfume after wearing her necklace, grabbed her clutch and walked downstairs hoping her parents would stop hollering up the stairs that Luke has been waiting for her.

And there he was, standing at the bottom of the staircase talking to her father, unaware that she had arrived. It was all so very cliché from the way the room went quiet to Luke's jaw dropping as his eyes fell on her. It was like a scene straight out of a teen movie but nothing could've been more wonderful.

Dressed in full black himself – black shirt, tie and suit – and looking as gorgeous as ever, Luke made Ellie's heart do cartwheels in her chest, flipping over like there's no tomorrow, as he looked at her adoringly, teeth tugging at his lip ringed bottom lip.

He took her hand and led her down the last step before reaching into his pocket and taking out a clear box containing a corsage. He stood so close to her that she forgot what breathing was. His breath was hitting her cheek, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he pinned the black and gold corsage to her dress.