:: Eight

:: E I G H T ::

He pulled Ellie to a side, away from all the skaters and towards the barriers. He looked straight into her eyes, all the previous humor wiped clean off of his face, and said “I killed my mom.”

Ellie stood there gaping up at him, stunned. Did she just hear what she think she did? She knew there had to be an explanation for this. No way would Luke, no matter how hot tempered he might be, kill his own mom. Ellie shut her eyes tightly and took a deep breath before opening them again. “Tell me everything,” she said seriously. ”properly this time.”

-

-

“Uh… make yourself comfortable.” Luke stuttered, waiting for Ellie to sit down before taking off his coat and walking away, to what Ellie presumed, the kitchen.

Luke then walked into the living room and stood in front of Ellie, leaning down to hand her a coke can. She took it from him and patted to the space next to her on the couch.  He sat down and took a shaky breath. Ellie could see his fingers holding his own can of coke trembling.  Ellie placed her can of coke on the coffee table in front of her and placed a reassuring hand on Luke’s quivering shoulders. She looked at him with pleading eyes and reassuring smile.

“It’s okay.” She said softly. “Take your time.”

“I was eight.” Luke started with a shaky voice. “Actually it was my eighth birthday and my mum went out to get me something.” He said with a faraway look in his eyes.”She had a lot of work in her office those days so she hadn’t had time to get me anything that’s why she was out on my birthday. The thing was it was so windy and the snow was blinding. But I – I was selfish, El.” His voice cracked.

Ellie felt tears pricking at her eyes watching the hunched boy break down, his hands holding his head while his hands rested on his thighs. She rubbed circles on his back and his tensed shoulders relaxed a bit. “I pestered her, El. I told her to get me something, I didn’t know. I promise,” he sobbed. “I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay, Luke.” Ellie whispered. “It’s okay.” She leaned close to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, resting her chin on his trembling shoulders. She waited quietly until Luke’s sobs died down.

“The last thing I heard was a loud truck horn before I heard a crash.” His raspy voice uttered. “When the line went dead I knew something had happened but I didn’t want to accept it. After my mum died,” A hiccup escaped his lips. “I kind of shut myself out, away from everyone. And whenever someone would try to get in or even try to ask what happened all that would come out of my mouth would be complete rudeness. I don’t let people in okay?”

He sighed deeply before continuing quietly this time. “It just doesn’t work that way. Everyone always leaves, El. They always leave.” He said with a faraway look in his eyes staring straight at the switched off television as if he was watching something only he could see.

10 years ago

“Mommy?” he yelled frantically into the phone. “Jack! Ben! Mommy isn’t talking and I heard a loud crash!” He was only eight years old but the cold hard fear running through him was undeniable.

“Luke? Where are you, buddy?” Luke heard a voice calling out to him and saw his brother Jack, wrapped up in a blanket, appearing closer to the front door where Luke was sitting cross-legged on the carpeted floor. “What’s happened?” he asked curiously.

“Mu – mum isn’t speaking.” He stuttered handing over the phone to his older brother.

Jack grabbed the phone and listened to any sounds – he heard none. “The line’s dead.” He said, his face suddenly pale. He ran over to the backyard where their father was shoveling snow away from the driveway, gloves protecting his hands from the cold.

“Dad I think –“ Jack started but was interrupted when a shrill tone sounded from inside the house making them jump. Andrew walked into the house after raising a hand, motioning for Jack to hold on and wait for whatever he was going to say.

Jack followed his father inside the house and into the living room where the land phone was ringing, waiting to be picked up. “Yes, it’s Andrew speaking. Who are you?” Andrew said into the phone and someone walking into the room caught his eye. It was little blond Luke, still dreading what was happening. And suddenly Luke and Jack saw all the color draining out of their father’s face as he listened intently to whatever the person who had called was saying. His knuckles were white from the firm grip he had on the phone, his breathing shallow.

“O – Okay, thank you.” He said ending the call and placing the phone back down. He sunk onto the bean bag chair next to the phone with his head in his hands, his shoulders were shaking and that was all that took Jack and Luke to realize they would never see their mother again.

“Luke?” Ellie shook Luke’s shoulder bringing him out of his trance. It was at that moment that she was gripped by the urge to save him. Seeing Luke sitting there staring into empty space had scared her and she was worried about him.

Luke directed his gaze at Ellie, an ever so slightly smile visible on his lips. “Thank you for listening, El.” He said as he turned to face her and hugged her, letting go of a deep breath.

Author's Note: SO SORRY you guys! This chapter was so late and i'm really sorry! i didn't think it would get this hectic when school started but since it's my last 3 months in school i have a lot of work being piled upon me! but hope you guys enjoy this :) been having such a messed up week but writing helps so i hope you guys like this! vote + comment if you do :) don't be ghost readers alright? 

- Pooji