:: Twenty Five

:: T W E N T Y F I V E ::

Ellie got up early next morning and texted Briana asking her to meet Ellie and Luke at the boutique so they could buy their prom dresses. Luke being the ever helpful boyfriend had agreed to wait until Ellie picked the perfect dress which was going to be a hassle since sparkly dresses and Ellie did not go well together. Neither did any other kind of dress. Despite knowing that, Luke had agreed to tag along.

Ellie headed into the bathroom and brushed her teeth, washed her face and dressed up in black skinny jeans – one of the many pairs she owned – with a too-big Green Day t-shirt that belonged to Luke.

As soon as she slipped the t-shirt on, she was engulfed in his perfume. She felt as if it was consuming her. A smile broke upon her face as she closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment. Then she slipped on her black Vans and pulled her hair into a ponytail.

She slipped her phone into her pocket and exited the house after saying goodbye to her mother and grabbing a slice of toast.

She waited at the bus stop as she munched on her toast, waiting for a bus to arrive. The bus pulled up at the stop and Ellie took a seat before the bus pulled away. She got a ticket to Luke's neighborhood and plugged in her earphones, drowning herself in All Time Low's album, Don't Panic!

-

-

"You," a harsh, cold voice spoke, "you're a monster. You don't deserve to be happy," the voice snarled before laughing bitterly. "Everyone would be better off without you, happier without you," Luke felt as if he was being choked.

"No," he breathed out, gripping onto the sink so hard his knuckles turned white and numb. He kept taking deep breaths but the choking feeling wouldn't go away, it just kept intensifying. The feeling of being drowned was coursing in him and all he wanted was to put an end to it.

He screamed. He screamed so loud in agony that anyone, had they been around, would've been frightened. But no one did because he was alone; Jack had gone out for work. Sweat trickled down his forehead as he tried to control himself but he felt himself reaching into the cabinet. He knew where this was leading but it was like his hands had a mind of their own.

He slowly unfolded the white paper to reveal a blade. The blade he had not seen in so long. Shakily, he took the blade and placed the paper on the sink before running the blade against his skin in a swift motion. He watched as he bled; the dark red blood a contrast against his pale, clammy skin.

It made him feel better but was soon replaced by a feeling of guilt and cowardice. He had given in. After months of fighting, he had given in. In his mind he saw the disappointed faces of Jack, Ellie, Ellie's family, Calum and Ashton.

Feeling guilty, he slashed the blade across his skin again before crying out and slumping onto the ground, blade falling carelessly on to the floor, his head in his limp hands.

He heard the doorbell ring but didn't move. It rang again before the house went back to being quite. The sound of Luke's breathing echoed off the walls.

He heard a timid tap on the door making him jump. He was sure Jack had placed the keys under the flowerpot before leaving and the only person who knew this besides him was Ellie.

"El," he gasped, ashamed at what he'd done.

"Luke," her soft voice called from the other side of his bedroom door.

He cleared his throat and said "come in" in a shaky voice.

He heard the door creaking open and footsteps which got louder as they neared the bathroom which had its door wide open.