Silent Night

It was a dark and cold December night, but inside the banquet hall, a party raged on, keeping the occupants warm. Despite this fact, one of the many attending nations opted for the cooler night air over the suffocating heat of the party. England was not much for parties and when he was dragged along to one of America's he would either sit in the corner (sometimes with a book) or get completely wasted. So there the Brit sat, nursing a glass of gin and tonic at one of the tables along the perimeter of the hall.

     Eventually, the blaring music, heated room, and effects of alcohol pushed him outside into the nipping cold. Perhaps it was for the best, his mind was becoming slightly fuzzy, but he wasn't in the mood to be blackout drunk. It was quite a beautiful night, although cold. A fresh layer of snow laid on the ground, glowing untouched below the sky filled with stars. The trees along the side of the wall were decked out in golden lights for Christmas, making the whole scene more beautiful.

     As England admired the sight, a strong gust of wind threw him slightly off-balance, but luckily someone was there to steady him. He looked up to meet the pale blue eyes of a familiar German. England's eyes went wide at Germany's sudden appearance. "Wh-What are you doing here?" he finally managed.

     "Too many loud people."

     England nodded slightly, straightening himself out and pulling his coat around himself.

     "It's a beautiful night," Germany said, looking up at the clear sky.

     England followed the other's eyes. "Yes, it is." The snow and quiet of the night brought back many memories. One, in particular, was at the front of England's mind at that moment: a Christmas football game with the enemy. That was over a hundred years ago, but the day was burned into England's memory for eternity. The day he fell in love. As he stood beside Germany, surrounded by the cold and snow, the day came flooding back. He could almost hear the voices singing among the silence of the night. As he stared up at the sky, he began singing softly:

     "Silent Night, Holy Night

     All is calm All is bright

    Round yon Virgin, mother, and child

    Holy infant so tender and mild

    Sleep in heavenly peace

    Sleep in heavenly peace!"

     As England concluded the verse, he felt eyes on him. He turned to meet the (uncharacteristically) soft gaze of the man beside him. In return he gave the German a lop-sided smile, prompting him to join in. Germany took a breath, turning to the sky once more.

     "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht

     Hirten erst kundgemacht

     Durch der Engel Halleluja

     Tönt es laut von fern und nah

     Christ, der Retter ist da

     Christ, der Retter ist da!"

     England was taken aback by Germany's deep yet soothing voice. Considering how rough the German often came off, it was hard to imagine such a voice coming from him. But he had no time to goggle, it was his turn now.

     "Silent night, holy night!

     Son of God, love's pure light

     Radiant beams from Thy holy face