Not so Secret Admirer

Hws Rarepair Week 2022 Day 3: Flowers

Author's Note: For so long I wanted to do something with a Tattoo Artist Arthur x Florist Ludwig and now I finally have an excuse to. 

It was the fifth flower this week: yellow acacias, symbolizing friendship and secret love. Though the admirer still seemed to think he was secret, Arthur knew full well who had been sending him these little gifts the past three weeks.

Across from Arthur's tattoo shop sat a flower shop. In the past few months, he had befriended the two brothers that owned it (though only one brother seemed to be passionate about flowers and gardening). His name was Ludwig, and Arthur would be lying if he said he didn't have at least a little crush on the stoic florist. But it was nice to be wooed like this, so despite knowing from the very start, Arthur kept quiet, making up a bouquet of all the flowers he would get through the week. These yellow acacias would look lovely with the blue violets he had received on Monday.

However, after almost a month of this, Arthur was starting to get impatient. It was time to tell Ludwig that he knew and that he returned his feelings. Though, he wanted to do something special in return, but what?

The bell rang, signaling the entrance of a customer. Or in this case Gilbert, Ludwig's brother. "Yo, Artie, did you get Luddy's flowers?" he asked, leaning against the counter.

"Yes," Arthur replied solemnly.

"Hey, my baby brother put a lot of thought into this, don't sound so disappointed."

"It's not that," Arthur hissed, "I just...I-I'm not sure how to respond."

Gilbert's face turned serious. "Well, you better do it soon. I worry he's going to start overthinking it even more than he already is. I think this is the first time I've ever seen him so serious about a romantic interest."

A light blush coloured Arthur's cheeks.

"You don't have to do anything special, just be honest with him," Gilbert added before bidding him farewell and returning to the flower shop. Did he just come over to say all that?

Arthur grumbled to himself as he went to the back to double-check when his next appointment was. Not for another two hours; so much for a distraction. Arthur groaned, collapsing into the rolling chair nearby. He was rolled near the desk where an old leather notebook caught his eye. He hadn't used it in years, not since his tattoo business took off, but now it was as if the book was calling to him. Perhaps this was the solution to his dilemma.

Ludwig must have been in the back when Arthur entered. It gave the Brit the perfect opportunity to enact his plan. He held the envelope close to his chest and cautiously made his way over to the cash counter. Just as he placed the envelope on the counter, Ludwig emerged. Arthur quickly pulled back and was about to run when he met Ludwig's eyes.

The German quirked a brow before turning his attention to the envelope. Arthur remained frozen, his heart leaping out of his chest as Ludwig read it over. After a few moments, Ludwig looked up, cheeks flushed.

"I-I knew you sent me the flowers," Arthur admitted.

Ludwig looked away with a small embarrassed smile. "Was I that obvious?" Arthur offered his own timid smile. "Just a bit, but it was really sweet. Not to mention romantic."

"Says the one who wrote me a sonnet to confess. Which was very good I might add. I never knew you were a writer."

Arthur shrugged with an amused huff. "I dabble in it as a hobby sometimes. Though this is the first thing I wrote in a while."

The two kept stealing glances at each other, cheeks still heated and the awkward tension still present. The question of "What now?" hung in the air.

"Just kiss already," called a scratchy voice from the back.

"Gilbert, get back to taking stock," Ludwig roared in return.

Arthur snorted. "So..." he began, "Would you like to go for coffee or something? When we're both free of course."

"That sounds wonderful."

Another awkward silence settled over them until Arthur walked over to Ludwig. He took Ludwig's face into his hands and placed a quick peck on his cheek. "I have to go, but I'll text you my availability."

Then Arthur turned the door and quickly exited, leaving behind a shocked, flustered Ludwig.