I Always Preferred my Ladies in Suits

This fic is from a few weeks ago. In women's soccer England and Germany went against each other in the final, I figured now would be a good time to finally write some Nyo GerEng. This isn't related to soccer because I'm not that knowledgeable on the topic and I'm still working on my depiction of them so it might feel a bit awkward, but I still hope you enjoy!

Monika and Katherine did not do fancy. Though both had been brought up in a climate of formal events and diplomatic parties given their status as nations, when it came to their personal relationship they would rather stay in with a movie and PJs and cuddle on the couch. But Katherine--being the closeted romantic that she was--had longed for at least one date at a fancy restaurant with formal outfits, overly priced food, and only the candlelight illuminating the two of them. Monika, not too picky when it came to dates, was content to follow along, though albeit nervous as well.

Monika wanted to do something special; to make this night perfect for her lover. She pulled out the strapless, navy blue evening gown she had brought with her just for the occasion. She grimaced as she looked over the flowing skirt and sparkling top. It was far from her usual style of pantsuits and dress shirts with blazers, but Katherine seemed to like this kind of thing.

So Monika laid the dress on the bed before heading to the washroom to brush her hair and put on a bit of makeup. A little bit of eyeliner, mascara, and a neutral eye shadow along with the light pink lip gloss Amelia had gotten her should suffice. Monika wasn't big on makeup either, but for formal events such as these, she'd put at least a little on.

Makeup wasn't the challenge, however. Once more, Monika stared down that cursed dress. 'It's only for tonight' she reminded herself, 'For Katherine.' Monika had seen the worst of humanity, war, death, blind hatred, she could last one night in a dress. So why was she filled with so much anxiety as she held the fabric in her hand?

With a deep breath, she stiffened her posture like the soldier she was and slipped out of her everyday clothes and into the dress.

It wasn't bad. Monika pulled up the top of the dress despite it already covering her as much as it could. Perhaps she should have gotten the one with straps. At least it wasn't short, but that didn't stop her from pulling the skirt down though it was already on the floor. Monika turned slowly towards the mirror. She didn't look like herself. Johanna would probably say something along the lines of that she finally "looked like a proper lady." She didn't like that, but if Katherine liked it, Monika would make it work.

A knock at the door interrupted Monika's swimming thoughts. She rushed across her hotel room and opened the door. Katherine stood dressed in a knee-high dark green dress that matched her eyes perfectly. The top hugged her tightly, but the skirt flared out, slightly poofy, but not too poofy like the ones Monika had to wear at all of Johanna's fancy parties when she was a child. "Woah..." Monika breathed out.

"Hello to you too, my dear," Katherine greeted, a pleasant smile on her face, amused by the other woman's reaction.

"Sorry...I-I..."

"It's alright."

"It's just that you...You look good." Monika scratched the back of her neck awkwardly. She could tell her face was all red.

A faint blush dusted Katherine's cheeks. For a moment–a moment Monika didn't catch–her brain shut down before she mumbled out a bashful 'Thank you.' She looked over her lover, dressed in a lovely navy evening gown. Though beautiful, Monika's tense shoulders and constant pulling at the top and the skirt set something amiss. "Are you alright, love?"

"Completely fine," Monika replied a little too tightly.

Katherine looked over her once more. "It's the dress, isn't it?"

"N-No..." Monika began to crack under her lover's stern gaze. "Okay, maybe a little. But it's fine really. No big deal."

"I've never seen you wear a dress. Why now?"

Monika looked down at her feet. "I...I wanted to impress you. I thought you'd like it. Do I look okay?"

Katherine's gaze softened. She took hold of her lover's upper arms. "You look wonderful. In everything. The only issue I have is that you don't look comfortable. And your comfort is most important to me."

God, for a prickly woman, Katherine had the most gentle eyes. Monika could never argue when Katherine looked at her that way.

"Do you have something else that you'd like to wear?" Katherine asked, already guiding Monika back into the room.

"I do. I brought a blazer and dress pants in case I backed out."

Katherine grimaced at her lover's word choice but kept quiet. "If that would make you more comfortable, I suggest wearing that instead."

Monika looked as though she wanted to protest, but one more stern, yet knowing look from Katherine got her to comply without complaint. She took the blazer, dress pants, and white button-up shirt from her suitcase and headed into the washroom. Minutes later Monika emerged, looking much more comfortable in her navy blazer, dark dress pants, and crisp button. Katherine couldn't help but stare, even more so than when she saw Monika in the gown. "You look stunning," Katherine breathed out.

"Really?" Monika looked down at her feet once more, sheepishly.

"Yes.." Katherine gave an awkward cough. "And much more comfortable. Now, we better get going if we don't want to miss our reservation."

"Y-Yes. Let's go." Monika offered her arm to Katherine. "M'lady."

"How charming," Katherine beamed, accepting the offer.

As they made their way into the cool evening air, all lingering worries seemed to melt away. "By the way," Katherine began, "Not that it matters but...I always preferred my ladies in suits anyways."

A lovely crimson blush spread across Monika's cheeks and down her neck. "Ah...W-Well then, good thing I like blazers."

Katherine let out a light laugh, and the two women were on their way once more.