Wedding Letters: Germany

Dear Arthur,

     You know I am not good with flowery language, or romance, or feelings, so don't expect too much from this. Where do I even begin? I love you so much. No word can describe it. I know it's cheesy, but still. You like cheesy anyway. We've been through hell, but we've come out only stronger than ever.

     I'm the luckiest man alive. Mess up, after mess up, you still came to me in the end. I remember back in 1914, actually talking to you not as a nation, but as a person. As we talked I found myself always going back to your eyes. Your bright, emerald green eyes. Despite everything going on, they had so much life in them. That is when I fell, and boy, did I fall hard. I felt like I was going to explode when you asked me out for drinks.

     Then we went through even more hell. I feared we were done. I feared you hated me. I hated myself after all. I still kind of do from time to time. But you were there and surrounded me with love. Even years and years later, you still wrap me in that warmth. You promised me when you first witnessed the aftermath that you wouldn't let anything happen to me. Back then I had doubts, but now, I believe it wholeheartedly. I promise I will do the same for you.

     At least things got better after that. We grew, our relationship grew, our nations' grew. Now, look at us. We're getting married. I never imagined falling in love, let alone actually getting married. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy, beyond happy actually! There is so much more to say, but so little words to say it with. Good thing we'll have the rest of our lives to say what we want. Ich Liebe Dich.

Love, Ludwig Beilschmidt