Chapter Fifteen

Kylo's long finger tapper mercilessly against his seat as Hux's voice droned on about his new method in attacking the Resistance base. He pursed his lips as a silent way to show his boredom as well as his exhaustion. Last night, he planned to work late into the night so he slept the day away, coursing with energy for the day ahead when he awoke. Not long after he woke up feeling rejuvenated, he felt the rush of curiosity in Rey and absentmindedly transferred their energy without thinking about it, assuming it would be better for her to have energy than him. Her exhaustion flowed in and he succumbed to it, sleeping yet again and ignoring the work he had promised to deal with.

He regretted it the next morning after nearly sleeping an entire day. He shook his head to try and pay attention to the boring presentation by Hux in this moment. His eyes lazily scanned the members of the meeting and saw the same unenthusiastic expression plastered over them. He quietly held back a chuckle at the thought of everyone being equally annoyed with Hux. He returned his gaze back to the fiery officer who noticed the slight shift from Kylo.

"Ren, is something of the matter?" Hux politely asked through gritted teeth. "You seem quite uninterested."

Kylo's gaze narrowed. "Yes, I am a tad uninterested, officer, as you are the unfortunate one giving this damned presentation. If this is anything like the other brilliant ideas you've had in the past month, I'm fearful for the direction of the First Order when people like you are put in charge."

A series of chuckles echoed throughout the room at his comment. Phasma bit back a heavy snort as she placed her hand over her mouth to silence it which resulted in Kylo giving her a sharp look but he did appreciate the laugh. Hux stood at the top of the room in a fuming pit of anger. His face grew to the same shade of red as his hair and his thin lips opened to retort the comment.

Kylo stood abruptly from his chair and lifted a large, covered hand in his direction. "One more thing, officer. I am your superior and I suggest you referring to me as such. Your warnings on this matter are running out."

Hux sputtered out in embarrassment at this, opening his mouth to roar a complaint before clamping it shut at the realization of Ren's overwhelmingly high position over him. Kylo raised an eyebrow at him as he was curious to see what the next move from the idiotic redhead would be. The man straightened out and narrowed his already small eyes in Ren's direction.

"Yes, Supreme Leader."

Kylo bit back a smirk of satisfaction. "Good. Everyone dismissed."

Instead of hiding away and swallowing in his disappointment, Hux frowned. "Supreme Leader, I am not done with the presentation-"

"I know." Kylo said. "I will review it later if it is actually of value but as of now, everyone is called to resume their posts."

Hux sucked in a deep breath before saluting and storming out of the meeting. The other members began to whisper to each other to try and hide their laughs. Kylo rolled his eyes but stood up to leave. Phasma stood up with him as she normally did.

Ever since he had taken the role of Supreme Leader of the First Order, he thought it would be best to have a back up in case of his untimely death or ultimate retirement. There was no doubt in his mind that Captain Phasma would be the best pick out of every option he had. Since this decision, she had been shadowing him for roughly a month. They had developed a routine that both grew very comfortable with. Every morning, she would be by his side during whatever the day called for and then in the afternoon, she would depart to finish the rest of her duties.

It got to the point where Phasma broke out of her cold, hard shell and viewed him as her friend, as her confidant. She joked lightly with him, gossiped even and generally became comfortable in his presence. He did not as easily adapt to her and still grew a little weary with her constantly there but no longer viewed her as a coworker. In fact, he couldn't view her as a coworker since she knew about his connection with Rey.