Part 1

This one's gonna be an AU story, hope you like it 

~

She was running late. None of Stevie's friends paid attention anymore, they all knew she'd be 30 minutes to an hour late to every gathering. She was supposed to meet her small group of girl friends at a bar 7pm sharp. It was 6:27 pm and Stevie was just getting out of the shower. It had been a long day at work, which was going to be her excuse, but that was always her excuse.

While her hair dried naturally, Stevie quickly did her makeup and chose an outfit. She wanted to wear jeans, but her favorite ones were in the laundry basket, so she decided to put on a dress. Taking a look at the mirror, Stevie gave herself an approving nod. She looked good, but she rarely showed it off. Checking the time, Stevie cursed. She was going to have to let her hair air dry. Stepping into a pair of high heels, she walked through a cloud of perfume and let out a deep breath, which seemed she had been holding in since she came home.

Getting into a cab, Stevie urged the driver to go faster, who didn't seem to register that and kept moving within the speed limit. The car had barely stopped and Stevie jumped out, slamming the door to the backseat loudly as she hurried inside, spotting her friends right away.

"I am so-"

"Sorry, yeah, we know." Jane finished the apology for Stevie and pulled out a chair for her. "Come on, we're two cocktails down already, you've gotta catch up!"

"I'll be hammered by the end of the night, I'm so tired." Stevie sighed, but picked up the glass, which was already in front of her and sipped through a straw. "Mmm... this is heaven!"

"I have to say, you look hot." Sandra complimented Stevie from across the table. "I can't remember the last time I saw you in a dress. I bet the girls are thankful, getting some fresh air at last."

Stevie looked down at her cleavage and immediately wanted to hide. "Is it a bit much?"

"Hell no! Show them off." Sandra winked to which Stevie smiled shyly.

"So, how are you guys?" Stevie asked, taking another long sip of her drink.

Time seemed to fly by. Stevie had found other passions in her life, so she didn't go out as often anymore. She was quite a party girl in her 20's, but now she preferred staying at home, watching a good movie or reading a literature classic, sometimes she even wrote herself, often she drew. However, she was having a great time tonight, except for the teasing for the lack of romance in her life.

"Excuse me, miss."

It took a moment for Stevie to realize that someone was addressing her. "Yes?" She turned to the waitress.

"Compliments from the gentleman over there." 

She frowned, this hadn't happened to her in a long time. Stevie looked over into the direction the woman showed and saw a dark curly haired man waving at her. 

"Uh, I... thanks." Stevie accepted the drink, hoping it wasn't spiked. She felt Jane nudge her. "What?"

"You should go over to say, hi."

"I can't, at least not right away." Stevie shook her head. "That seems a bit desperate, no?"

Sandra rolled her eyes. "I'd be fine appearing desperate if he'd sent a drink over for me."

"He is kinda cute." Stevie wondered aloud, closing her lips around the straw as she looked at the man again, he smiled at her. 

The conversation continued among the women, but Stevie barely said a word. She kept glancing into the same direction, catching the stranger looking back at her. Having completely lost interest in what her friends were talking about, Stevie pushed back her chair and got up. She fixed her dress and still somewhat unsurely took the first step towards him.