Blood of A Seeker -13-

“Oliver! Oliver!” I called down the darkened school corridors, barely able to catch up in my stupid flats. “Hey, slow down!”

He came to an abrupt stop and whirled around, panic etched across his face. “What now, Sage? We have to go!”

“Just tell me what’s going on!” I said breathlessly, brushing the dark curls out of my face and gave him a pleading look. “Please, Oliver, you’re scaring me.”

He smacked his forehead, seemingly frustrated and dragged me around the corner, picking up the pace. “Rosemarie gave me proper shoes for you to fight in.”

“Fight?” I echoed, panicking. “What the hell is going on?”

“I didn’t want to tell you in the gym but there are Seekers gaining in on the school,” he hissed in alarm and ran out onto the field where the mud squelched under my current shoes. So much for keeping them clean.

“Wait what?” I squeaked in horror, almost slipping on the grass and ruining the dress. I’m pretty sure Katherine wouldn’t like that!

“Not now!” he yelped, picking me up on his shoulder, my toes barely touching the grass as he dragged me across the field and into the school parking lot. “They’ve only recruited Katherine and Jocelyn because and they need you for some reason!”

“I’m in the same group as them,” I suggested unsurely. I caught several glimpses of several flashes of light bursting into the air followed by shrieks and shouts of alarm, not too far toward the centre of the town. Seekers? How could they have gotten through the barriers so easily? “How did they find us all of a sudden?”

“I would say it was that Terrance guy,” Oliver growled, earning a smack upside the head from me. “Hey!”

“Terrance would do nothing of the kind,” I snapped angrily as he dropped me properly on my feet and ran to his car. I followed behind hastily. In the trunk of his vehicle, it was filled with all sorts of first aid kits and medical equipment along with my one and only –

“Shoes! Sweet, sweet converse shoes – and socks!” I exclaimed in triumph and kicked off the muddy flats, snatching my pair from his hands and quickly shoved on the footwear. “Rosemarie is really well prepared!”

“Come on, we don’t have much time!” Oliver’s hands emitted a set of green platforms before us, ascending into the skies.

“I’m wearing a dress,” I hissed, hopping onto the first one in my comfortable shoes and felt my toes wriggle in relief in them.

“It doesn’t matter – not when the town is in danger of Seekers!” He grabbed my hand and helped me leap up onto each platform as though they were mere stairs.

I couldn’t help the blush crawling across my cheeks as my underwear was put on display above all the houses I ran across. With each step a green square vanished behind us and reappeared in front, creating stepping stones across the sky. “How come they’re coming for the gym?”

“Students are the youth of Fairwyn,” he replied at the top of his lungs, panic written all over his face. “They’re the rawest and strongest essence for Seekers to feed on!”

Oliver stopped abruptly while I kept going with momentum, jumping onto each one until I stopped at the last remaining one. I craned my neck to find Oliver running the other way. “Hey! Where are you going?”

“I’m bringing the medical equipment – I’m a Healer, remember?” he shouted and gestured ahead where the brilliant bursts of colours jutted into the air. “Get going, Sage!”

I groaned, thrust my arms out and produced another long line of steps, watching them fade as I passed onto the next.

As soon as I arrived where most of the bright lights seemed to be taking place, I let the remaining square I stood on descend to the ground with a whoosh, almost flashing my skirt up. I pushed it down and took in the situation.