Blood of A Seeker -25-

Oliver was a hard person to avoid, especially because he kept ringing up my phone and annoying the heck out of Rosemarie.

I only hoped I wouldn’t see him that much tonight: I didn’t feel like hearing him going on and on about hanging out with Terrance let alone Tucker and how I would get hurt. He made me feel like I was the one being babied.

Rosemarie added a dash of foundation to the light scarring that had remained on the side of my temple. She covered it up with ease and leaned back to admire her work even though it was only one patch of skin she’d concealed. “There. Perfect.”

Turning to face her, I fingered the blue material nervously. “I have no date to this thing. Should I even be going?”

“Not everybody will have dates,” she reassured me.

“But the high school kids will,” I muttered. “Where’s Terrance? I kinda thought he would ask me but I haven’t seen him around lately – at least not since Christmas break started.”

“He’ll come around,” Rosemarie told me and slung a carefree arm around my shoulder with a knowing look on her face. “They always do.”

A giggle slipped through my lips, quite unlikely of me but still a giggle all the same. “You act like you have experience.”

“I do!” she protested indignantly. “I’ll have more experience than you’ll ever know.”

“You’ve only been married once,” I accused. “Well about to be married.”

The amused look on her face suddenly faltered, a flash of guilt flickering in her eyes. My smile dropped at this. The comment I made obviously seemed a little odd to her . . .

Had Rosemarie been married before Stefan? But she was so young!

“Mary . . .” I started slowly.

“Yes,” she replied abruptly. I didn’t even had to ask. “I have.”

I saw her perfect French nails dig into her palms while she straightened out the long red dress she wore and twisted the emerald bracelet around her wrist nervously. “You have.”

“That’s a story for another day,” she growled, surprising me. I had a feeling that the conversation would pop up sooner than just any other day in the distant future.

I hastily slipped from the chair in front of her vanity and pushed the curls out of my face. I smoothened out the layers of fabric I had been scrunching up in my hands and faced Rosemarie with a small smile. “Okay. Ready to go? Are you sure you don’t want me to call up Katherine to ask if we could go together instead?”

“No, no I want you to come with Stefan and me,” Rosemarie insisted, the previous serious attitude wiped off her face. “It’s Christmas; family time!”

“It’s also supposed to be your wedding in about two months,” I shot back and made my way down the stairs and felt relieved I’d be able to wear my converse even though it was completely informal to the whole formal occasion. Apparently none of my shoes ‘matched my outfit’ which of course I was glad about.

“Family first,” she said with a save of her hand and slipped her dainty feet into silver heels which disappeared beneath her flowing gown of red. “Stefan should be here any minute.”

I comfortably settled in my shoes and grabbed a black bag with beaded straps when Rosemarie took my hand and placed some small and cool within it. I glanced down, surprised to find a sleek thin black device fitting snugly in my hand. “What’s this?”

“You need better communication skills,” she replied with a grin and shrugged on a white cardigan for her bare shoulders. “Put on a jacket.”