Blood of A Seeker -4-

“I’m home!” I called, crossing the threshold of the front entrance and couldn’t help the smile stretching from ear to ear. “Mary?”

“Kitchen!” I heard her voice call from the doorway in my left. “It’s almost four! Did you have fun with the other kids?”

I bit my tongue, letting the smile drop very suddenly as I made my way into the kitchen. For a moment, I hated myself with a deep and fiery passion; I was already enjoying myself just the slightest bit in a new town with new people despite the fact that my family had died just less than a month ago.

The sense of power started buzzing within my chest, mirroring the frustration I had for myself. How could I be so selfish? I had run away from the beings that had set my family’s house on fire, moved away to a new town and now I was enjoying myself?

“What’s wrong with me?” I asked aloud and realised that Rosemarie wasn’t alone in the room.

“Well I wouldn’t ask something like that in front of your new principal,” she mused, giving me a wink. “Alexi, meet my fiancé and Fairwyn High’s principal, Mr. Stefan Calloway.”

The frown deepened on my lips for two reasons: one, Rosemarie had used my first name and two; she had brought in a complete stranger into the house and hadn’t bothered to warn me about it.

“Nice to meet you,” I greeted quietly, trying not to let my tone fall flat.

“Likewise,” he replied with an easy-going smile. “It’s so nice to finally meet the godchild of the woman who I unfortunately love.”

I heard Rosemarie smack him in the chest followed by an exchange of chuckles. “You better be joking.”

“Right well I’d like to go to my room,” I declared, wringing my wrists in a hand-washing motion. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Calloway.”

“Call me Stefan outside of school,” he insisted. “Oh, Alexi?”

I paused, halfway through the kitchen exit. “Yes, Stefan?”

“At Fairwyn, there are special afternoon classes for the students who like to learn and use their magic more with the teachers,” Stefan explained. “Rosemarie tells me you’re a skilled Chroma and you’ve managed to erase many memories before?”

I shot my godmother a pointed look then nodded quickly. “Yes. But I’d rather like to get some time to think about this before I dive head-first.”

Stefan nodded his sandy-blonde head understandingly. “Good choice. But it wouldn’t hurt if you came to see the classes, would it? They start in half an hour and run until eight.”

“Staying in school until eight?” I felt my jaw drop in shock when Rosemarie laughed easily. “That’s some pretty committed students, Stefan.”

“Most of them like what the Teachers can offer at the school,” he responded with a wry smile. “So will you come? Rosemarie will be on guard tonight for her shift so I could take you.”

My brow furrowed thoughtfully. I felt a little anxious at the offer of hopping into the car of my soon-to-be principal not to mention I didn’t know him at all but there was something . . . something about him that reassured me I would be safe. He wouldn’t hurt me – he was dating my godmother and I was pretty sure I could unleash some fiery power if I need be.

I nodded slowly, almost smiling but it was wiped off my face when thoughts of my family drifted into my mind. “Sure.”

The ring of the school bell felt oddly calming as I jumped out of Stefan’s car and stepped foot into Fairwyn High’s school grounds. Thoughts of Tucker flooded my mind and it took all I had to push them out and focus on my reason for being here: move on, keep Tucker and innocents of Lexington Cove save not to mention learn more about my powers.