Blood of A Seeker -14-

By lunchtime on Monday, word had spread about the Seeker attack and there was no doubt it would turn into town gossip within a matter of days. After all, Fairwyn was a very small town and everybody knew everybody.

“I’m sorry about Oliver on Friday,” I apologised to Terrance as I sat with him outside, chewing on a grape thoughtfully, wondering what could have been keeping Rosemarie so busy throughout the weekend.

Ever since the attack, Rosemarie was barely at home and it was eerily quiet at my house. I didn’t like it one bit, especially considering the Seekers could possibly attack the town while the Keepers were still out.

It didn’t help that whatever she was keeping from me, I just knew it would concern me deeply – whatever it was.

“It’s all right – he’s just looking out for you and I respect that,” he replied with a nonchalant shrug though his tone hinted a bit of regret. “I just hope the town isn’t attacked by Seekers again.”

I shuddered, feeling Goosebumps arise along my arms. “How do you think they got in?”

“I’m wondering the same thing too,” he told me with a sigh, leaning against the tree with me. Today was surprisingly a nice day for the end of winter and now that it was entering spring, I was hoping the situation would brighten as well.

The hairs on the back of my neck started to rise as a thought occurred to me. Didn’t Oliver say he thought it was Terrance’s fault Fairwyn was attacked? How he could have had something to do with it, I wasn’t sure. But what if he knew something?

Suspicions arose within my chest, causing me to turn to Terrance with a questioning look while I tried to keep the suspicion from my expression.

“Terrance do you think you know anything about what happened?” I asked in the lightest tone possible, popping another grape into my mouth and wrinkled my nose at the sourness of it.

Terrance suddenly disappeared from my side and stood up, blocking the cold sunlight completely from my view and stared down at me. “Are you implying something, Sage?”

“No,” I blurted. “I just – well I was just wondering if – if you could possibly know what’s going on with the Seekers.” I cringed; that sounded accusatory and I knew he would take it badly.

“You’re implying something, I know it.” Hurt flashed across his face followed by anger in his eyes. “Did Oliver put you up to this?”

“What? No!” I exclaimed hastily and scrambled to my feet. “What are you talking about?”

He turned around and groaned angrily, grabbing fistfuls of hair in his hands. He spun back around and gave me a ferocious glare. “You think it was my fault they’re here, don’t you? You think I’m a mole, spying for the Seekers even though I’m not even a fully-fledged Seeker myself? You’re just like everybody else.”

“No! Terrance that’s not what –”

“Just forget it Sage,” he sighed, picking up his bag and crumpled the bag of chips in his hands before he had even finished it. “You know, maybe Oliver’s rubbing off on you or something.”

“He isn’t!” I insisted, feeling my facial expression mirror the hurt on his face. “Terrance, I’m not implying anything and –”

“Everybody has been pointing fingers at me ever since I could remember,” he cut me off and started walking away.

“Wait, Terrance where are you going?” I yelped, running after him and ditched my box of grapes and my bag. “Terrance –”

“Everybody thought it was my fault people got injured because of that attack and here I was, thinking you believed me all this time.” He laughed bitterly and gave me a harsh stare. “Turns out I was wrong.”