Blood of A Seeker -3-

There was honestly nothing much to see in Fairwyn, just a whole bunch of acres of land out in the countryside.

The town centre wasn’t much either: just several blocks and clusters of cosy retail stores selling knick-knacks and what not. I had only spotted one mall and to be honest, it wasn’t that big, probably the size of a very small two-storey building. Conveniently it held the supermarket at the bottom floor and the clothing retail stores right above. Very small town indeed.

I came to a slow stop in an empty spot right outside a small café. Switching the engine off, I slipped out and brought out my wallet as someone opened the door for me before I could reach it myself.

“Thanks,” I said blankly and shuffled through without a second thought. I made a beeline for the counter, hearing snippets of low murmured conversations throughout the cosy place. “Uh two blueberry muffins, one chocolate chip cookie and a hot chocolate.” The taste of coffee was bitter to me so I always preferred my sweet hot chocolate over it – despite having it that morning, earlier before.

“Large or medium?”

“Medium please,” I replied and gave her a ten. “Keep the change.” It wasn’t like I would need the coins.

She nodded, gesturing for me to step aside as somebody else took my place. I leaned against the counter and inhaled the thick aroma of coffee and baked goods. Fairwyn was a much slower, quieter town compared to Lexington but I had to be honest; I quite liked it. Small towns seemed much nicer to live in than big cities and suburbs.

“You’re new in town, aren’t you?”

Of course, small town meant small world: news probably travelled fast and that was the one thing I was dreading.

I nodded slowly, giving the guy a queer look. “And I’m guessing you’re not?”

He smiled at me, holding out a hand for me to shake. I took it politely as he introduced himself. “Oliver Decker. Nice to meet you . . .”

“Sage,” I blurted out before I could have a chance to say my first name. “Sage Weston.” I guess it couldn’t hurt to use Mary’s last name. I mean, I didn’t want any reminders of my adoptive family so this was the only way.

“Nice to meet you Sage,” he concluded with a warm smile. “Considering you’re new, I’d like to give you a tour around town.” If I were in Lexington, I would have found this strange and even suspicious. Nobody just spontaneously offered a tour.

However, Fairwyn was different; I knew for a fact that it was filled with Chroma and Rosemarie did say everybody knew everybody. Still, I could find my way around town without any help.

I smiled then shook my head as a brown paper bag with my order was placed in front of me. “It’s all right. I’m finding my way around on my own.” Lie. I didn’t even know which way Rosemarie’s house was.

“Weston . . . you’re living with Rosemarie Weston then, right?”

I nodded, feeling surprised that he recognised her so quickly. I shouldn’t have though; Fairwyn was a small community after all. “Well I should get going.” I checked my phone briefly and felt my heart sink. I still had two hours left to kill.

“I know she’s one of the Protectors so she has a meeting with the rest of the Specialists until two,” Oliver spoke up, turning my attention back to him. “I think you have enough time for a tour.”

I was wondering when the topic of something Chroma-related would pop up. I found it strange how Fairwyn was supposed to be a town filled with people who could use the same type of gift I was capable of and yet Oliver here was acting strangely normal. Almost human-like.