Blood of A Seeker -16-

“Did I mention I really don’t think this is a good idea?”

“Stop being such a wuss and keep moving,” Jocelyn said lazily, giving me a look that said I wouldn’t be able to get past her back to the exit which had vanished. Definitely didn’t want to face her wrath – or the brick wall.

I shrank back from her gaze and tailed Katherine whose hands were glowing with white light as they remained at her sides calmly. “Katherine –”

“I’m curious to see what the Specialists are up to and you’re coming with us,” Katherine interjected firmly and flashed me an apologetic look over her shoulder. “Don’t you want to find out what they’ve been keeping from the rest of the town?”

“It’s not like they’re up to no good,” I pointed out in a small voice and clasped my hands together, fiddling with the ring nervously.

Step after step, I found myself gazing at the rugged surface of the stone walls as they started slanting downwards. Burning torches lined the walls the further we travelled down and by now, I was pretty sure we were much further than six feet under the ground floor of the library.

“So they do things underground,” I began nervously, glancing over my shoulder and found Jocelyn smirking at me. She was really enjoying this. “That’s established. Let’s go back.”

“Oh stop being a baby.” Jocelyn’s own hands were letting off a pale yellow glow, adding to the flickering orange light in the flames that never seemed to die. “Just –”

“Wait.” Katherine stopped in her tracks, forcing me to grapple along the wall to stop from running into her back.

The tunnel fell silent apart from my racing heartbeat which I was sure was loud enough to hear.

“Did you guys hear that?” Katherine questioned with a frown and turned to us with inquiring looks.

Jocelyn nodded slowly while I shook my head, eyes wide. “Guys, I don’t like the look of this place and –” I stopped, eyes widening. I heard it. It was faint, almost like voice in my head if it wasn’t for the gentle echo bouncing along the walls.

“You heard it too,” Jocelyn accused lowly and narrowed her green eyes at the fire-lit stairs heading further underground. “Now we have to go. No chickening out.”

As if knowing I’d try to escape, both girls grabbed my arms and forced me to fall in step with them, side by side. I swallowed nervously. Even if I could possibly defend myself against whatever was down there – Specialists or not – I didn’t know what I would be up against and that was what frightened me the most.

“Guys,” I whispered when the distant, faint wails started increasing in volume.

After a couple minutes of silent walking, I swallowed loudly. The ground flattened out before us and as soon as we hit the landing, the wails started up again but this time it was a chorus of multiple voices, more than I’d anticipated.

I shuddered involuntarily, hearing the pain in their voices. The unnatural guttural characteristics of these desperate cries confirmed the victims to be what I’d initially thought they were.

The word was at the tip of my tongue but Jocelyn beat me to it.

“Seekers.” A curious twinkle lit up her eyes, an almost sadistic look on her face. “They’ve locked up the Seekers here.”

Now I was really starting to panic. I squirmed in their grasp, edging backwards but was yanked forward by Katherine who gave me yet another apologetic look. “Katherine, please –”