Blood of A Seeker -27-

By the time it neared half an hour before midnight, Tucker and I were recalling the good times we’d had since meeting each other eight, almost nine years ago.

“You had an obsession with the colour orange when I met you,” he teased, spinning me around to the soft, light-hearted song playing through the speakers. “Orange earrings, orange braces, orange tops, orange –”

“Okay, I get it, orange everything,” I mumbled, slightly miffed then grinned at him. “Then I remember seeing your room for the first time and you had a secret obsession with the green.”

A sheepish look crossed his face as he leaned down and pressed his forehead to mine. “You loved it.”

I chuckled softly. “Sure. Or maybe I just liked the green lolly stash you had in your green desk drawers.”

“Which reminds me how much I miss those days,” he groaned. “After grandma found them . . .” He trailed off sadly and sighed. “I miss her.”

“She was a good person, Tuck,” I murmured and felt my nose brush his. “And she’s in a better place now.”

Tucker didn’t reply for a while which allowed me to sift through my thoughts, my hands tightening around his neck. Would the Seekers know about our weakening barriers? Could it be possible they would attack tonight? Would they have the guts to such a thing considering every single Chroma in town was here? Or maybe that just made us a bigger target.

I laid my head against his chest and an irritated sigh escaped me. Would the Seekers ever stop hunting us? Would it always be their born nature to kill us? Why couldn’t they just stop? It was so frustrating, the relationship between Seekers and Chroma. Was there no solution to it at all?

“May I cut in?” Terrance’s warm brown eyes locked with mine, a hopeful look in them. Reluctantly, I released Tucker and watched him leave quietly as Terrance took his place.

“He’s been hogging you all night,” he muttered under his breath and looked slightly annoyed. “And for a moment, I thought I was the only special Seeker in your life.”

At the mention of Seekers slowly made me stiffen yet I forced a smile and tight laugh. “Well Tucker is my best friend and all.”

“He hasn’t done anything bad to you has he?” Terrance questioned, brow creasing.

“No, no,” I said quickly and smiled. “He’s a very good friend.”

“I think there’s something going on between you two,” he declared, somewhat disappointed then glanced over my shoulder.

“He’s a very special guy,” I said truthfully and let Terrance lead me around the ballroom slowly. “Are you going to ask me the same question everybody else has been asking me?”

“About your feelings for him?” he questioned sheepishly and locked gazes with mine. “As your friend, I’d like to know.”

I pursed my lips, remembering Tucker’s confession several hours before, when the Christmas Bash had commenced. “I think I love him.”

“Think? That doesn’t sound very reassuring,” he teased.

“Well I’m sure I do,” I told him with a grin. “Why?”

Terrance fell silent, his arms tightening around my waist. “No reason.”

I knew the reason without having to ask. My chest clenched out of guilt. I hadn’t meant to lead him on in anyway; I saw Terrance as a loyal friend from the beginning. Surely he could understand that?