Blood of A Seeker -6-

For three days I had been kept occupied. The practising with my gift, trying not to get beaten by Jocelyn and finding my way through town without Oliver’s help had been distracting. Even Terrance’s advancing friendliness had been a good distraction, despite Oliver’s warnings.

By the time it got round to early Thursday morning, I found no motivation to get up from the chair by the window. I was back in the place I had sat in my first night in Fairwyn and despite the new friends, the week so far had not gone well.

“You have a whole new life ahead of you!” Rosemarie exclaimed almost angrily. She sat on my bed, wrapped in a pink robe and her blonde hair was unsurprisingly dead straight, falling across her slender shoulders. “You’ve been given the chance to start again, Lex. You can’t keep dwelling on the past. What did I tell you the first day we came?”

“Don’t dwell on the past,” I said impassively and hugged my knees to my chest. “But I miss them. A lot. Mary, I haven’t had any proper time for grieving or at least give them a funeral! Do you know what that feels?”

“Uh yeah, I kinda do,” she snapped. “Your parents disappeared on you and I didn’t have any time to grieve over that!”

I shot her a pointed look. “This is different. They haven’t been family since you could remember.”

Rosemarie scowled. “Stop wallowing in your own misery, get your butt off that damned seat and get to Fairwyn! At the moment you’re being so incredibly selfish. I know you’ve lost your family, both adoptive and biological but now is not the time to dwell on what you lost! You have plenty of spare time on the weekends but right now this is your time to learn about the heritage of your gift, to learn how to fight better so no more accidents happen.” A splash of rain caught my attention for a while, Rosemarie sighing in frustration behind my back. “Don’t be selfish. What you did was good for Lexington Cove and now you need to move on. I have and now it’s your turn.”

“I’m not you.”

“You can start a new life! Just find a motivation,” she coaxed desperately. “You’re going to be late for school.”

“Can you give me a ride? You’re not even dressed yet.” I gave her robe a meaningful look which she responded to with a groan.

“Fine but afterwards, there are no more rides.”

“Agreed.”

I trudged towards the bathroom, going through my daily routine a lot faster than I usually would take. Somehow the next fifteen minutes past by in a blur – I was already standing at the door of my first period class, English.

“I want my family back,” I whispered before entering the class and diverted my gaze out the window. The clouds were grey and stormy, rain pelted down like there was no tomorrow – just like it did on that fateful night.

A surprised gasp left my lips just as a disk of white shot past my face and narrowly missed slicing my head in half. “Katherine!”

“Sorry!” she called back with a broad grin and launched a rapid wave of exploding white orbs. “But this is only practice!”

I grimaced and threw my hands up in the air, throwing up an orange wall in the nick of time. The X shape my arms took on started to vibrate at the oncoming blows from Katherine’s white power. In a split second my orange protection shattered into fragments of colour. I stumbled back a couple of steps from the attack and caught Katherine punching the air in front of her as soon as I turned to face her.

The breath was knocked out of me as I flew through the air and slammed into the ground. I arched my back, in pain unable to focus my blurry vision. Katherine’s sympathetic shouts reached my ears as I rolled to my feet and struggled to stay up.