Blood of A Seeker -10-

I arrived at school bright and early, fresher than I had ever felt before. I didn’t know what had come over me – maybe the thought of never having to do History in school again had given me that extra boost of enthusiasm but I felt a lot livelier than before.

Now that I thought about it, my nights had become a lot less restless. I grinned at random students and made my way for my locker on the other side of the school and clutched my bag’s strap tightly, the heavy books weighing me down.

My fingertips ran over the padlock I had used for the past couple of weeks to secure my locker but the combination slipped my mind. I frowned, jiggling at the lock and tried numerous different combinations of numbers that seemed familiar but to no avail.

I groaned under my breath and dropped my bag, rummaging through to the bottom and found the old book lying there, safely surrounded by my other textbooks I had used over the weekend for homework. I quickly opened up to a page I had bookmarked specifically for these sorts of locks and only needed to give a quick glance at the code to know that it would be basic enough to open the combination on my locker.

Glancing from side to side and found the coast clear, I ran my finger in a small shape, an orange line streaking from my fingertip and forming the code on the surface of the padlock.

“Open,” I murmured, willing the gift to work and focused solely on the lock and the code.

For a moment, nothing happened and a feeling of doubt crept in. However there was a small combination of clicks and before my eyes, the lock slid open. My combination stared back at me on the tiny numbers, 5927. All doubt slithered away.

I grinned, tucking the book away and felt the colour fade from the very tips of my fingers. Shoes appeared in my vision all too quickly, jolting me backwards onto my butt. I hissed in annoyance and glared up at the visitor. “Can I help you?”

Terrance smiled down at me apologetically and held out a hand. I felt my expression soften as I took it gratefully and opened my locker, tossing books in. “Sorry. I didn’t know you came to school this early.”

“Actually I felt like coming early so . . . here I am,” I told him sheepishly and stuffed my necessary textbooks into my bag, discreetly making sure they covered the Code book. Oh crap, he didn’t see me use a code, did he? Damn it, Mr. Calloway said it had to remain a secret! “Did you . . . you didn’t see that did you?” I felt my stomach drop at my ridiculous choice of words. How discreet, Alexi – I mean Sage. I could always try erasing his mind anyways.

“Uh you opening your locker like you should every day? No, I didn’t see,” he joked and turned to the locker two down from mine, toying with his own padlock then opened it in a breeze. “Why? Were you writing in your diary or something?” Instantly his brown-eyed gaze darted to my bag which I clutched to my chest a little protectively. “Diary, then?”

“Sure, why not?” I replied dryly. “I didn’t know your locker was next to mine.”

“Well I had no reason to come to it until I found out you were near me,” Terrance told me with a grin. “There’s a new movie coming out, you know that Johnny English one?”

“Oh I love Rowan Atkinson!” I exclaimed and shook my head with a smile. “Yeah, what about it?”

“Do you want to go see it with me?” he asked slowly, watching my reaction very carefully.

“U-Uh yeah, sure!” I stammered a little too quickly, if not eagerly. I fought back the urge to babble and nodded vigorously. “That would be awesome! I mean it’s supposed to be really funny and I’ve seen the trailer and – wait, there are movie theatres in Fairwyn?” My jaw had dropped yet again. “But it’s such a small town!”