Blood of A Seeker -15-

“Thanks for the ride,” I told Katherine gratefully. “You too, Jocelyn – for coming and all.”

She snorted from the backseat, obviously still miffed she’d lost shotgun to me in a game of Paper, Scissors, Rock.

“Katherine made me so don’t try to get all buddy-buddy with me, Sage.”

“I wasn’t even . . . never mind.” I stared out the window and caught a glimpse of the acres of farmland in the distance, knowing the remaining Seniors and Juniors practised there on the weekends, including Oliver.

“This will give me a good chance to read up on old fighting styles in the library,” Katherine announced pleasantly.

Of course, how could I forget? Katherine was Oliver’s older sister by a year but she still attended Fairwyn to graduate late in order to take an extra year of learning into hands, by Mr. Harvey of course.

“You nerd,” Jocelyn teased with a smile on her lips. She frowned when she caught me staring at her through the mirror. Her mood could change instantly when I was around and it was kinda off-putting. “What?”

“Joss, come on,” Katherine groaned, spinning the wheel as we turned a corner, heading toward the town centre. “Lay off a bit, won’t you? Aren’t you the slightest worried that she’s spending more time with Terrance than Oliver?”

 “You too?” I almost smacked my forehead in annoyance. “I can’t believe it.”

Neither of the two responded to me so I let my complaints drop at that. They didn’t have to worry; Terrance was innocent. I just knew it, regardless of the Seeker attack.

The three of us hopped out when the vehicle came to a stop, Katherine locking the car. We then headed for the vast Council Hall at the end of the long, fancy winding footpath.

Rosemarie’s words floated through my mind, sparking my curiosity. “The Protectors and I are working with the Keepers all day to experiment on the Seekers.”

“Do you guys have any idea why all the Specialists have been cooped up in the Council Hall lately?” I asked aloud, wondering if any of Katherine or Jocelyn’s parents had told them anything.

“I would guess it had something to do with the Seekers but when the Keepers are out of town for a while, the Specialists usually have long meetings themselves,” Katherine replied with a thoughtful look on her face. “Joss, did your dad tell you anything?”

She shook her head and fixed her blonde bangs with a single bobby pin. “Nope. I could always ask.”

“Did Rosemarie tell you anything?” Katherine asked me as we stepped foot through the threshold and into the dusty library.

Unlike the past times I had been here, the library was filled with adults ranging from young to old scouring the library quietly. A feeling of discomfort settled in my chest at seeing the library so full when I was so used to it being empty while I browsed through it. What if I wanted to get into the Hidden Library? How could I with so many people here?

“Whoa . . . you said all the Specialists were having meetings in the Council Hall,” Katherine accused and turned to me with a frown. “Shouldn’t the library be empty?”

“My thoughts exactly,” Jocelyn agreed coolly and stepped further in, the two of us tailing her.

“That’s what she told me,” I said uncertainly. “She said to pop by with you guys when I wanted and said she was working on some things with the Seekers . . .” Luckily I had lowered my voice when speaking the last word and nobody around us had heard.