Gates

She sat next to her sister, smiling as she relived all the memories they had together.

Going to the park every Sunday afternoon, running through cornfields, and rushing home to catch the biweekly episode of Tom and Jerry

When they got older, sneaking out at midnight, the glowing stars in contrast to the sky as dark as the truth. 

Hearing the elder call out "Shorty!"

Their futures were as bright as tomorrow.

And although she was seated right beside her sister, these memories reminded her of the past she would never be able to relive, to recover.

No, she couldn't just pull out a remote control from the back pocket of her jeans and press replay, and watch the world around her rewind until she was satisfied.

Truth is, she would never be satisfied.

She chuckled slightly, remembering the days when she would belt out Hamilton songs with her sister, saving up money by working odd jobs to hopefully see it live.

Of course, they never did, but they thought they could.

The memories were like the inviting breeze of the sea. The salty smell, whispering for you to get closer to shore until the tide was nipping your toes. It pulled you in, deeper and deeper, and deeper, until you drowned, facing the reality you chose to ignore. 

Facing the consequence you placed upon yourself.

Drowning in melancholy, trying to reach the horizon you knew was simply an illusion.

She sighed, staring up at the sky.

The stars were long-gone.

Standing up, she bid goodbye to her older sister.

She didn't want to leave her, she never wanted to leave her.

But it was getting late, and the graveyard gates were about to be closed.