Stargazing - Jamilton (Fluff)

Requested by: 

|Jefferson|

Stars. Billions and billions of stars, trillions of miles away. Or as I like to say, just out of reach. This is what I do now. After work, every Friday, I find my favorite spot that some-what resembles Monticello, and I stargaze. I've always been fascinated with the science behind stars. How they look so little, yet are bigger than our world. How they feel so close, as if you could just reach out and touch them, but every time you try, you remember that they're too far away from you.

I find peace in the stars. They bring me a sense of comfort because I know they won't disappear. They'll always be there. I'm laying in the grass. Usually when I stargaze, I sit up so I can move my head a bit better. Today though, today I just want to relax. No matter how many times I blink, they'll always be there. I close my eyes, smiling softly. Listening to the music of the stars. So beautiful.

"Jefferson?"

And the moment's gone. Like a leaf in the wind. Or a crumb in a vacuum. I groan and furrow my eyebrows, not yet opening my eyes as the peace slips through my fingertips. I slowly open them to see, in all his glory, Alexander Hamilton. Even after work hours, he insists on bothering me. "What?" I finally ask. "What are you doing?" he asks. I roll my eyes. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Passing into the afterlife."

"Wouldn't that be a relief."

"How come?"

"Because I won't have to listen to you six days a week."

"Aww. I actually enjoy our arguments Tommy."

"Don't call me that."

"Hmph. May I?"

I look at him again and he gestures towards the patch of grass next to me. I slowly nod and he awkwardly sits next to me, resting his chin on his knees and wrapping his arms around them. I carefully study the look on his face. He appears to be in deep thought while also on edge about something. The way he's so awkward about this situation is rubbing off on me and disturbing my peace.

"Lay down."

I watch as his face turns 50 different shades of red. "W- what?" He stutters. It's almost cute. Almost. "The great Alexander Hamilton, stuttering? The non-stop talkative writer? I said, lay down. You're uneasy and it's disturbing me," I respond. "Oh. I thought- never mind," he quickly brushes it off.

Hamilton hesitates before leaning backwards until his back touched the grass. He straightens out his legs, letting his arms fall to his sides and immediately I notice a difference in his mood. Now he's relaxed so I'm relaxed. He looks up at the sky and gasps loudly.

"Woah."

"Hm?"

"The sky is beautiful. From this viewpoint."

"Have you never stargazed before?"

"No, not really."

"Well the stars can be relaxing. You should get out more. Maybe it'll make you less of a prick."

He breathlessly chuckles and we fall to silence. After a little while, I start pointing out the stars and constellations that I recognize. "Over there, that's the constellation Orion. And that's the star Bellatrix. Next to it being the star, Meissa. And that one there is-"

"Betelgeuse."

I look at him curiously. "My mom stargazed a lot. We used to do it together before she died. Her favorite star was Betelgeuse. Favorite constellation, Leo," he responds. "Why'd you lie?" I ask curiously. "It's not really something you'd tell your political rival," he shrugs. I nod and let my arm fall dangerously close to his. I decide to not move it as I'm enjoying this comfortable silence where we're not yelling at each other or spitting insults.

As a past time, I search and find the North Star, carefully studying it. I guess Hamilton knows what I'm looking at and speaks up about it. "The North Star, brightest star in the sky as well as the first star to appear at nightfall. Well-known to Disney fans as Evangeline, referencing the 2009 film, The Princess and the Frog," he says.

"That's my favorite Disney movie."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah."

He sighs and once again we're silent. I involuntarily flinch when I feel his hand brush against mine. I glance at him and he's still staring at the sky. I take a leap of fate and grab his hand, quickly averting my eyes to the sky so I don't see his reaction. I silently wait for him to pull his hand away, but the moment never comes. My heart flutters a bit and I smile softly when I feel him entangle our fingers. This is nice.