Chapter 36

In the boiler room they found what they were looking for.

"She's going to poison the air," the Doctor said.

"How?" Jenny asked.

A man pulled a lever to reveal the base of a rocket.

"With that, I should think," Clara said.

Two people pulled a sheet off something on the ground and there was a container with the red poison sitting in a basket.

"And there's the poison. All right, gang, I've got a plan," the Doctor said.

They stood up and something metal clattered to the ground. They quickly ducked down as the pilgrims turned to them.

"Okay."

They carefully stood up this time.

Elise followed Clara and her father and they came to a room where a woman was crying.

"Who is that? Who is there?" she asked.

The Doctor walked over to her and took her hand, running it over his face.

"You. It's you. My monster. You've come back. But you're..."

"Warm. And alive, thanks to you, Ada. You saved me from your mother's human rubbish tip." The Doctor cupped her face. "Now then, what's wrong?"

"She does not want me, monster. I am not to be chosen. Perhaps it was my own sin, the blackness in my heart that my father saw in me."

"Ada, no. That's nonsense. Stupid, backward nonsense, and you know it. You know it." He traced her scars with his thumb.

Elise walked over to them and placed her hand on Ada's.

"Who is that?" she asked.

"My name is Elise. Your monster is my father. I wanted to thank you for saving him."

"Your father?"

Elise laughed softly. "Yes. He may look young, but he really isn't."

"Then you are fortunate indeed. It isn't good to be alone."

"Now, Ada, I need you to tell me something. Who is Mister Sweet? Ada?" the Doctor asked.

"Oh, dear monster..."

"Please, tell me."

"I cannot. Even now, I cannot. I cannot betray Mama."

"Well, come with us, then. There's something you need to know." He stood up and led her by the arm to the drawing room.

Ada stood outside the room for the time being.

Mrs. Gillyflower laughed. "Oh, you do seem to keep turning up like a bad penny, young man."

"Force of habit."

"Can I offer you something? Tea? Seed cake? Oh, a glass of Amontillado?"

"No, thanks. We've had a skinful already, as you might say."

"Ha, ha. Very funny."

"Yes. I'm the Doctor, you're nuts and I'm going to stop you."

"I'm afraid Mister Sweet and I cannot allow that." Mrs. Gillyflower looked at Elise. "Well you're a pretty one, aren't you?"

Elise still had the sword in her hand and raised it in warning.

"Ah, not just a pretty face."