Chapter 51

A/N - WELCOME TO THE LAST CHAPTER! I cannot believe we've made it this far. This book was so much longer than what I was planning, but it was ride, wasn't it?

Clara knelt down next to Elise. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," the Doctor said.

Clara held out a Christmas cracker to him, but he wasn't strong enough to pull on the other end. "Hey, it's okay. It's all right, don't worry." Clara placed her hand on his and they popped the cracker together.

"Ah! Is there a joke, Huh?" the Doctor asked.

"Extract from Thoughts on a Clock by Eric Ritchie Jr," Clara read.

"Is it a knock knock one? Those are best."

Clara laid her head on his knee. "I don't think so."

"Well, read it. Go on."

"And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now. The clock is striking twelve's."

"I don't get it."

The sound of a Dalek shattered the moment. "Doctor! The Doctor will be brought! The Daleks demand the Doctor."

A young man came running in.

Clara and Elise stood up.

"They're here. The Daleks, we can't stop them. They want you."

"Oh, all right, Barnable. Are you Barnable?" the Doctor asked.

"No, Doctor."

Elise knew that the Doctor's connection with Barnable had been a strong one, so surely he remembered him dying. Maybe his memory was going in his old age.

"It's okay, Barnable, don't worry. I have got a plan. Off you pop."

The young man left the room.

"I haven't got a plan, but people love it when I say that."

"Doctor, what are you going to do?" Clara asked.

The Doctor struggled to lift himself from his chair.

Elise helped him up.

"Oh, I don't know. Talk very fast, hope something good happens, take the credit. That's generally how it works."

"Doctor..."

"Not this time, though. This is it."

"No!"

"Yes. We saw the future, Clara. This is how it ends."

"Change it."

"Ha!"

"Like Tasha said, change the future."

"I could have once, when there were Time Lords. Not anymore."

"Fixed points can't be rewritten Clara. Especially when you know the future," Elise told her, "I'm sorry, but there's nothing you can do."

Clara started to follow the Doctor.

"No. You're going to stay here. Promise me you will," he said.

"Why?"

"I'll be keeping you safe. One last victory. Allow me that. Give me that, my Impossible Girl."

The Doctor hugged her. "Thank you and goodbye." He kissed her head and wiped away a tear.

He looked at Elise. "My clever, brave girl. Please."